Ah. Thought so. Orochimaru was still counted as a part of the Akatsuki during that time.

"I'm talking about Orochimaru, though he may have already left the Akatsuki by then..." A trailed off, so he doesn't count, "even so, your father the fourth Kazekage, and the third Hokage, Hiruzen, perished."

Yeah. I remember the mess and panic.

"It's also hard to dismiss the possibility that this was all part of an even larger plot," A continued his speech, he's a bit prudent, isn't he, "but the most suspicious of all is the hidden mist."

Saw that one coming. I remember it being called the blood mist at one point because of the amount of blood that was shed during the previous Mizukage's lead.

"The mist never engages in diplomacy and it's rumoured that the Akatsuki started there," A proclaimed, well he's not wrong, I guess.

"Since it's come to this... I'll be honest," Mei spoke up, "we suspect that someone from behind the scenes was secretly manipulating Yagura, the man who was Mizukage before me. There's a possibility that that someone was the Akatsuki."

It probably was. Not to mention he was a jinchuriki, the three tails if I remember right. He just disappeared one day, but the Akatsuki must've definitely got him because they moved on and were even trying to get Naruto. Considering they were going in numerical order, it's safe to say Yagura went in hiding when he disappeared but he was found not too long ago. Poor guy.

"And that is exactly why I didn't want to talk big," Mei sighed remorsefully.

"Each and every one of you," A cast his steel glare around each kage, judging them under his hateful glance.

"You just watch your tone, Raikage," Onoki scolded, clearly getting irritated.

There's a mixture of emotions amongst the kage right now. Mei is obviously ashamed, Gaara seems surprised, Onoki is getting irritated with A, A is just being his judging self but Danzo. Danzo is being cautious, staying quiet. It's clear that he doesn't want to let the wrong thing slip. I know you, Danzo, and I know you have done a lot of terrible things in the background, even going as far as to give no choice but to wipe out a whole clan because of a coup d'état though I guarantee that you didn't even attempt to talk to them.

"In fact, it's because you of the cloud go around collecting ninjutsu," Onoki spoke up, "seeking more power in this era of disarmament. We had no choice but to hire the Akatsuki to counter your growing power."

"What was that?!" A shouted, standing from his seat.

"Before you start arguing each other's merits, I would like to state the point I was going to earlier," Danzo finally spoke up.

"And what is that?" A asked.

"It's possible that the leader of the Akatsuki is Madara Uchiha," Danzo stated.

What?

I knew he was old but senile too? Is he mad?

Madara Uchiha died years ago. Like a lot of years ago.

Did he hit his head on the way over here or something? If so his guards aren't doing very well at looking after his ancient being.

"Are you sure of that?" Mei voiced probably everyone thoughts into one question.

"But how could that even be possible? Hasn't he been dead for several decades?" Gaara asked, pulling out the facts.

"The Kazekage is right. Madara has been dead for a long, long time," Onoki agreed with the red headed teen.

I'd be very surprised if he just suddenly appeared in front of us, young and healthy. He'd be over a hundred years old now, wouldn't he? Or somewhere around that point? He might as well be a fossil.