||73||

"Alright, Shikarei, we're ready to remove the bandage," Shizune told me. I shook my head and raised a hand.

"No, I can't control it right now," I told her, "if I look at you, I might hurt you."

Right now, both eyes are closed, all I see is darkness. I'm not sure how I'm going to feel permanently seeing the world in a weird blue tint. Maybe I'll go see my friends on Land of Illusion and be like 'look who got cursed twice?' oh and introduce them to Himari.

I'm curious how Kiara will react. She didn't warm up to me, or at least it didn't seem like it, until like... four months in? She's a stubborn woman.

"I'll leave you then," Shizune replied before I heard footsteps and then the closing of a door.

As soon as that happened, I opened my right eye and looked at the tinted blue world.

"This bandage is irritating my left eye," I grumbled to myself tapping the bandage before standing up and looking around, "is there a way to turn this off? Maybe... Now I have a reason to go see Kiara. Later though, Hima needs to recover from everything."

°🥢°

"Tsunade," I knocked on her bedroom door before walking in, the blonde looked up from her bed and yawned, rubbing her eyes slightly, "sorry to disturb you."

She smiled and moved the book off her knee before patting the bottom of her bed, I walked in and took a seat in front of her.

"You're not going to remove your bandage?" she asked, I shook my head.

"Not until I'm sure I've got a complete grip on my eye," I replied, "plus people need to get used to seeing my glowing blue eye. In my logic, they get used to one, they'll be fine with two."

She nodded with a small snicker.

"Anyway, you're not here for a chit chat, what're you here for?" she asked.

"Permission for myself and Himari to travel to the Land of Illusion?" I replied awkwardly. She sucked in a breath and sighed before letting it out sharply.

"Permission granted," she nodded reluctantly, "you want to introduce Himari to all your friends, I can see."

"That obvious, huh?" I asked, she nodded.

"I'm sure all this travelling can teach her a lot," Tsunade decided, "and so you will leave in three days. Rest until then."

"Thank you," I thanked her, getting up and going to the door. I opened the door and was about to walk out before pausing as a thought came to my head.

"You know, Tsuna..." I trailed off as she hummed in response, "You're not as bad as I remember you to be. I'm sorry for everything we put you through back then. Thanks for everything."

Then I left.

People burning the midnight oil in bars and restaurants stopped in the middle of the street just to stare at me as I passed.

"Shikarei!" Kurenai ran over to me, "Whoa-- what the heck happened to your eye?"

"Long story short, I've had this eye for a very long time, but I've been hiding it," I replied, "get used to seeing it because I have two of them now."

"Why don't we go to my place?" she suggested, "you can explain everything once we get there."

Oh yay...

"Sure," I nodded.

°🥢°

"Mommy?" a tired voice whispered to me as I entered the house.

"Hey, baby," I looked to Himari, "What're you doing up at 2am?"

"Cwoudn't sweep," Himari replied, rubbing her eyes, I smiled softly and swept her up and took her outside to the back porch. I sat her on my knee and rocked us gently as I looked into the sky.

"Mommy," Himari called, I looked down and her hands caught my face, "wot hawppened?"

"Mommy's eyes have been changed to protect the world from the darkness behind them," I replied cryptically, taking her hand in mine. I noticed they were so small compared to mine; my hands easily ate them up. It reminds me of when I was young, and Pa used to hold my hand everywhere. I used to notice it then too.

"Dwoes it hurt?"

"No," I smiled, pulling her in closer, "it doesn't."

I start humming softly, matching my gentle sways that met the calm breeze. I've learned that other than stories, this is one of the easiest ways to get Himari to fall asleep.

Shikaku's PoV

I heard shuffling from Himari's room and got up, curious as to why she was up at... 2 am?! Jeez--

"Mommy?" she called. Shikarei? I stayed in the shadows as I watch the scene play out.

"Hey, baby," Shikarei asked, "What're you doing up at 2am?"

What're you doing up at 2am, Shikarei.

"Cwoudn't sweep," Himari replied, Shikarei swept her up and took her outside to the back porch. I silently followed them and watched as Shikarei sat down with Himari on her knee, one hand supporting her back as the other rested on Shikarei's knee.

"Mommy," Himari called, Shikarei tore her gaze from the sky and looked to Himari as the small child reached out and placed her hand near Shikarei's bandaged eye, "wot hawppened?"

"Mommy's eyes have been changed to protect the world from the darkness behind them," Shikarei replied rather strangely as she took Himari's hand in her own. She stared at it for a while.

"Dwoes it hurt?" Himari broke the silence.

"No," Shikarei smiled, pulling her in closer, "it doesn't."

She started humming softly, matching her gentle sways that seemed to mingle with the breeze.

I was worried before. Worried that this would make Shikarei crumble but... It seems I was wrong. She's perfectly fine.

When did she grow up and become this amazing woman? Feels like yesterday I was teaching her to play shogi.

Oh well.

"Come on," Yoshino whispers, pulling me, "She's fine. She is a Nara, remember."

I look to her and smile.

"Yeah," I agreed as she pulled me back to bed. She's a Nara. A pretty good Nara too. She's fine.