Chapter 16

Merida has been living alone for a week now. Her mom flew to another state because of work. She was assigned to a different hospital because she was much needed there.

"So, how are things at school going?" Her mom asked. They're video calling each other.

"Oh, it's great, mom. Do you remember Brandon? He finally talked to me the other night and said he was sorry. I also had fun with Leo earlier, he bought me a notebook and with Jacob, he's still the same," she told her mom.

"Still no girlfriends huh? But anyway, don't get too close with the other guys. Harold used to warn me about them." Beth then giggles remembering her old days.

Merida just laughed. "Mom? When will you come back home? I missed you."

"I hope soon so I can make you egg rolls for lunch."

"Hey, Beth? There's an emergency, Dr Brook needs you to assist him"

Merida heard her mother's coworker. "Well see you soon, mom. Take care okay. I love you."

"I love you too, honey."

That ended their call. Merida sighed, well time for dinner. She was about to go cook some dinner when she heard the doorbell. She went and opened the door. A wide smile showed on her face when it was Jacob. He smiled at her and hugged her tight before coming inside.

"I bought dinner," he said showing the paper bag that says Jollibee on it. That made Merida's eyes twinkled.

"Did you also get—?"

"Fries and sundae for my baby," he finished her sentence and took out the BFF fries and sundae from the paper-bag.

Merida jumped at him in happiness. There were spaghetti, chicken nuggets, and a bucket of chicken joy. You can tell she's really hungry when she immediately dive in.

"Hmmm" It was so delicious, especially the fried chicken!

Jacob stared at his girlfriend eating happily the foods he brought. What a cute reaction, he thought. Losing this kind of lady would make him a fool.

"Why are you staring at me like that?" Merida mumbles, with her face red in embarrassment.

Jacob smiled and replied, "You were so cute. I got lost in the moment".

That made Merida even redder. She took the paper bag and hid her face in it.

"What are you doing?" Jacob asked, chuckling softly.

"I'm so embarrassed!" She yelled, suppressing her shame in that paper bag.

Jacob hugged her anyway. "You're so adorable, Love." He said, taking off that paper bag in her head. He tucked away some of her hair and stared at her eyes. "I love you and nothing can change that."

Merida stared back and showed a sincere smile. "I love you too... with hearts."

Jacob moved closer and kissed her forehead. "Let's have lunch together at the school cafeteria."

That made Merida's eyes widened. She blinked a couple of times. "The cafeteria? Aren't there too many—"

"I'll be there with you. Trust me okay?" He assured her.

Merida didn't have a choice and she nodded.

Jacob didn't stay longer after eating. He said, he has some assignments to do. She finished answering those, she's pretty smart but at the same time dumb too.

"Well, I guess I have to learn how to hang out with the cool kids," Merida mumbles and closed her eyes.

•••

The next day at lunch break and as promised, Merida will be eating at the cafeteria.

Jacob and her was still walking towards their table when eyes are glued at them. Different faces and heads are turning just to see them. Well, she has to get used to all this thing.

"You okay?" Jacob asked her when they were almost at Jacob's favourite table with his friends. Merida couldn't say a thing anymore so she nodded.

Reaching the popular guy's table, Jacob introduced her to everyone. They all said hi and greeted her fine. Even Brandon had greeted her.

"Aight, so what do you want to have?" Jacob asked her.

"Anything?" She doesn't even know what the cafeteria serves so she just said that.

"Okay, I'll be back."

And as expected, she was outcasted in that table. Nobody seemed to want to talk to her so she bowed down her head. She'll probably get another anxiety attack until Brandon spoke.

"So, how was class?" He asked her all a sudden.

"The usual," she answers.

"Oh yeah, did you find the exam easy today?" One of the guys in the table asked.

"It was kind of easy," she answered and smiled.

"Oh you got a cute dimple," another one noticed.

This made her realized that it was easy to make friends with guys than girls. "Thanks."

"Yo! Don't be too shy, we might look like bad boys but we only care about basketball. Don't worry, we won't chase someone as ugly as you," And that sparked laughter on their area. "Oops!"

Oh well, she was wrong. Boys are still boys, she thought and just laughed awkwardly with them bowing her head down.

Brandon could see the pain behind Merida's fake laugh. He couldn't take it so he stood up and walk towards Merida. He grabbed her arm and drag her away from his shitty friends. He doesn't care that people were watching.

Merida wanted to protest but she wants to get out of that hell too. Outside the cafeteria, Brandon let go.

"Why did you agree to sit with us in that stupid table?" Brandon roared in anger. "You know they would never be good to you unless you stand up on your feet! Why?"

Merida started crying, she finally let out the pain from the insult. "I know it was wrong, but is it really that bad to try?" She managed to ask in between her sobs.

Brandon sighed and was about to hug Merida when Jacob came running.

"What the hell happened?" Jacob asked and hugged Merida tight.

Brandon secretly despises Jacob right now. Not because she's hugging him, but because he could've known.

"You know very well what our group of friends are capable of saying. You love her, you could've done her thing and not introduce her to discolouration that makes her tainted," Brandon ranted. He glared at Jacob for a while and then walked away.

Yep, witnessing the different side of love. Love can drive people crazy and manoeuvre us to do something we never imagined we'd do.