Chapter Twelve

"Bro, are you serious with that goldfish?" Brandon just couldn't believe that his friend was serious about Merida.

"Dude, I am," Jacob answered and swiftly turn to get a drink.

Brandon shakes his head. No, he's not convinced that Jacob has a thing for Merida. "What makes you into her?"

Jacob frowned making deep furrows in his brow. He looks at Brandon with a look that indicates he is annoyed.

"Bro, do I really need a reason to like someone?"

"Yes, bro! You can't just like a person because you feel like you like her! What about Elise? What if she comes back all a sudden and—"

"Elise is not coming back, Brandon! She made her choice," Jacob fires at his friend, tossing his head to the side. "Don't mention that name again!"

They were in silence for few minutes until Brandon broke it off.

"I'm going home. It's kind of getting late," Brandon stated, frowning at him. It was time for him to leave Jacob alone.

"You know you're just seeing her in Merida," Brandon uttered before he went out of Jacob's game room.

Jacob crumpled his plastic cup and throw it away. He facepalmed, thinking about what Brandon told him. No, he knows the difference between grief and liking somebody. Elise might have his heart but he moved on. She's not coming back anyway, he thought.

•••

Brandon was driving when he saw someone at the side of the street. A lady wearing a dress, giving food to the street kids. He was curious so he pulled over and saw it was Merida.

"Was she an orphan?" He asked himself but then he remembered meeting Mrs Hollyn. He couldn't just keep watching so he went out of his car and approached Merida and the dirty kids.

"Are they your family? You stink like them."

Merida immediately raised her head and saw one of the bullies in school. She smiled at the kid, "You go back there and eat well."

The kid then went running to the other kids. She got off her knees and stands up to face Brandon. Her face showing she didn't like his presence at all.

"What are you doing here?" Merida asked, completely ignoring his first insulting question.

"Well, I was walking around and—"

"People like you are too lazy to be walking on streets like this. Don't play nonsense with me," Merida said with a straight face.

"So you decided to be brave?" He scoffed, moving closer to Merida.

"No, I'm just saying."

Brandon stared at Merida, the corner of his mouth curved up. This girl in front of him doesn't seem like the Merida who Candice and her chicks bullies, this one was better and proud. It made him smirk and back off.

"Did you stood Jacob like this? Because if you did, that's maybe why he resembled you to Elise."

Merida frowned.

Brandon can read what that meant. She doesn't know about Elise. It made his smirk grow to a full evil grin.

"Oh well, whoever she is, I don't care. I hope you have a nice walk on this street." Merida turned her back on him and started walking away.

No, he doesn't agree that she walks away like that. So, he out of nowhere catches up to Merida and held her hand.

"Let go of me!" Merida yells trying to shove away Brandon's hand.