Cherry

Anna's POV

I haven't seen Harry in, I'm not even sure how long. I was supposed to see him 8 months ago, when I met Will, but he never showed. And then he sent me that text saying how he was in love with me, and I just kind of left him on read. In other words, our past is a little complicated.

But I feel like I owe this to him. One last talk, friend to friend, before I get married. Maybe all he needs is some closure, so that's what I'll give him.

It's 10 minutes until I have to leave, and I don't know if I'm more excited to finally start this new life with Will or to leave my past behind with Harry.

-

I start the drive to the cafe when I see a text on my phone. I pick it up and read the message.

"Hey sorry that this is last minute but can we change our plans. No! I'm not cancelling, just moving our, well whatever you want to call this. Can we meet in the field we had out first real talk in? H"

My eyes grew wide.

I had completely forgotten about that field. That was the moment when I realized Harry was the one, or well, who I thought was the one. We had talked all night, danced our worries away, and we had only met hours prior to that. We had instantly clicked.

I don't know why but I started to get butterflies in my stomach, just like the ones I had the day I met Harry. No Anna. Stop. You walked away from your relationship with Harry. You are getting married in one week. Stop.

"Sure. No worries. That sounds perfect."

(Message Sent)

Harry's POV

This time I was not going to be late. I didn't want to ruin this moment with Anna.

I laid down a picnic blanket onto the grass that we first laid on over a year ago. This was my last chance to either win her over, or to get my full closure. Either way I wanted this day to be perfect, just like it was 14 months ago.

I set down the picnic basket full of foods I knew Anna would love. It had Doritos, fruit salad (mostly consisting of watermelon cubes, kiwis, strawberries, and cherries), and ham and cheese sandwiches. Anna will always say no one knows her better than herself, and I will always agree with her, but I notice her little nothings. Her cute quirks, the way she hides her face when she laughs, how she has catchphrases that aren't even real catchphrases, the way she turns red whenever I compliment her.

I hear the sound of a car driving up the gravel road and stopping.

That's when I see her.

God damn time did her well. She looks absolutely stunning, even though I can tell she was trying to tone down her look.

"Hey" I hear her say from the car.
"Anna!" I reply.

She starts to walk over to me and she has this huge smile on her face. She tries to stop it but she can't.

Soon enough, she's standing in front of me.

I just stare at her for a few seconds and then I give her a hug.

I can feel her melt into my arms. I've missed her so much.

After a few minutes of just standing there in each others arms, I slowly pull away, grab her by the hand, and lead her over to the picnic I set up.

A smile grows on her face.

"You shouldn't have." Anna says.
I chuckle.

"I should've done more." I reply. She lightly hits me and giggles. I've missed her laugh so much.

We both sit down on the blanket and I open the basket revealing all the treats I got for her.

"Harry! Stop! You really shouldn't have."
"I haven't seen you in months! This was the least I could do."

As much as she wanted to resist it, she reached inside the basket and pulled out the fruit salad and started eating it.

"So how have you been? I haven't really asked much about you or how you're doing." She says after a few minutes of silence.

"Oh well you know. I've just been, you know."
"Come on. You can tell me anything Harry."

I take a deep breath. She looks at me with a confused face. I take the bowl from her and grab her hands.

"Anna. I still love you."

Anna's POV

Harry's words ring in my ear.

"Anna. I still love you." Are the words I've been dying to hear him say for so long but yet I could never admit it.

"Harry..."

He looks at me with his puppy eyes. I try to look away but I know I can't.

"I'm marrying Will. You know I'm marrying him. I love Will."
"But do you really love him? More than you love me?"

Harry's right, but that was something I could never admit. For months I've been convincing myself that what me and Harry had was pure lust, but I always knew it was more.

"Yes." I say quietly. "I do really love him."

"That's not true." He replies.

I look at him confused. I swear this man can see through to my soul.

"No Harry it is. I shouldn't even be here. I don't know why I came in the first place."
"Because you still love me. I know you do. Anna. Don't marry Will."

"Harry I have to!"
"You don't have to do anything! Anna. Listen to me and answer truthfully. Don't answer for anyone but yourself. Do you love me?"

I lose my breath at his words. I look deep in his eyes.

"Yes." I say, keeping eye contact.

I see his eyes start to tear up.

"Do you love Will?"

I look away.

"Yes."

"Anna. Please. Don't do this."
"Harry I don't have a choice! I'm marrying him in a week. I can't just break up with him like this. It will ruin him. Don't say you know me better than I know myself. Don't say you know who I love. Don't say I have a choice when I don't! I'm marrying Will. Yes we had a thing. Yes it was amazing and yes I love you, I always did and always will. But I can't. Harry, I just can't. We would never work. We have to go our own ways. We aren't right for each other."

"Anna..."

"Harry."

I start to get up when he grabs my arm and pulls me into a kiss. For a minute, I kiss him back. It feels meant to be. I've missed his touch. The feeling of his lips touching mine. The way he holds my face when we kiss...

No Anna stop. This is wrong.

I pull away.

"Anna. Don't do this."
"Harry, you just don't understand what it's like to love someone, to be in a committed relationship."

At this point we both have tears down our face.

"Anna, I know you won't admit it but you want to be with me. The day of your wedding, I'll be waiting here. If you truly love Will, then go ahead and marry him. But if you know truly in your heart that we are meant to be, then meet me here and we can be together. Please Anna. Don't go through with this."

And with these words ringing through my head, I walk to my car and drive away. I look back for a second and see Harry standing there watching me drive off. And almost as if we were in a movie, rain starting to pour down from the sky.

One week. I have one week to make my decision.

Fucking hell.