.Chapter Nine.

Chapter Nine           Evalyn

“What are you and Owen doing tonight?” Vic asked.

I leaned closer to the mirror and held my phone to my ear with my shoulder as I applied a thin layer of eyeliner – a very hard thing to do.  “We’re going out to dinner,” I replied.

“Where?” she asked.

I paused in the middle of smudging the eye shadow in to blend nicely, “I have no clue. Owen never told me. I guess it will be a surprise. Why are you so curious?”

“No reason really. I just wanted to know what my best friend is going to do on her first date with Owen,” she answered. “You have to call me when you get home. I want every single detail. Everything that happens. Everything that is said. You must leave nothing out. Now go,” she said before she hung up on me.

I smirked as I slipped my phone into my clutch. I took one last look in the mirror. I had straightened my blond hair and put half of it in a little up do, and left the other half down so it’s spread across my back. I was wearing a dress that had thick straps and a sweetheart neckline that showed a little cleavage, but not too much that made it look like I was asking for anything. It clung to just under my bust and then went lose and outlined my frame. The dusty pastel colors that were spread across the fabric of the dress accented my eyes.

I did a quick run over everything in my head. Phone, check. Wallet, check. Amazing dress, check. Shoes… I slipped on my light grey ballet flats, check. Make up, check. I was ready to go, and just in time to because as I slipped on my shoes the doorbell rang. I closed my bedroom door and slowly descended the stairs.

Owen stood just outside the door and Carter was leaning against the wall, his arms crossed over his chest. They both looked up when they heard me coming down the stairs, and I swear both of their jaws dropped. I couldn’t help but grin at their reactions.

“Ready to go?” I asked, raising one eyebrow in Owen’s direction.     

“Yeah, let’s go. See you later Carter,” Owen said as he offered me his arm, which I gently placed my hand on.

Being a gentleman, Owen opened my door for me and closed it before running to his own side and jumping in and starting the car. I was already itching to ask him where we were headed, but I bit my tongue.

A few minutes into the ride I broke, “Where are we going?”

He glanced over at me for a few seconds before returning his attention back to the road. “We’ll be there in about ten minutes. I’ll tell you then,” was his answer.

I crossed my arms, making my eyes big and pouting my bottom lip a little. “Please tell me,” I said.

“No, and the puppy dog look doesn’t work on me,” he said. I couldn’t hold back a small smile that worked its way onto my face. I just couldn’t stay mad at him. A few minutes of me fake pouting and joking around about how he wasn’t being very nice, Owen pulled into a parking lot.

“You didn’t,” I said to him as he parked.

“Oh, I think I did,” he teased.

“You’re taking me bowling!” I yelled in excitement.

“No, I’m taking you to the diner inside for dinner and then we’re going bowling,” he said as he unbuckled himself. “Stay here,” and he opened his door and got out, walking to my side and opening my own door for me, offering his hand to help me out. Giggling, I unbuckled myself and took his offered hand. Holding hands he leading me towards the entrance.

“This was a great idea. I love it!” I told him as we took our jackets and sat at our seats. I had been going to this bowling center since I was old enough to toss a ball down the lanes. The building was older and was pushed back behind some of the newer buildings. The inside was worn but welcoming. I loved this place!

There were a few others eating and talking. A waitress came and poured ice water into our glasses before taking our drink orders. After she had written down my Coke and Owen’s ice tea, she left us to talk on our own coming back to give us our food. We laughed at each other’s jokes and I truly believed that I could fall in love with Owen if I gave him the chance.

We bickered over who would pay the bill and after three rounds of rock paper scissors, Owen won, much to my displeasure.  As we walked out of the dinner, I swore I saw Carter walking into the building at the side entrance opposite where we were now.

“Is that Carter and Isabella?” asked Owen.

“I think it is,” I told him.

“Carter,” he called out loud enough that Carter turned his head in our direction. He spotted us and started towards us, Isabella following behind him.

When he got to us he said, “Hey guys, sorry for crashing but I was thinking about what to do with Isabella tonight when an idea hit me: do a double date with you guys. Is that ok? If not we can grab our own game.”

“It’s cool with me, we haven’t paid for our stuff yet thought. We’ll be right back,” Owen said.

“I bought two rounds. Don’t worry about any more just yet,” Carter yelled as we walked to the front desk.

“What shoe size are you?” asked the teen who was working behind the counter.

“Five,” I told her and. Before she left she got Owen’s shoe size then disappeared to go find what we needed. She returned a few seconds later both pairs in hand.

“Here you go. All the balls are on the lower level where the alleys are. No indoor shoes, food or drink down there as well, please. Have a good night,” she said with almost a sickly sweet ‘I hate my job but it’s a paycheck so I have to be nice to you’ smile.

Taking our shoes back to where Carter and Isabella were standing you could almost feel the tension in the air. I wondered what had caused the sudden change but didn’t comment on it as I took a seat at one the tables close by. I tugged off my normal shoes and putting on the bowling pair that almost a million other people had worn before.

“What teams do we want? Boys against girls or couple verses couple?” I asked.

“I say guys against girls,” said Carter. After we had all agreed and gotten the balls that we wanted we started our game.

“What are the stakes?” Owen asked.

“If girls win, you’ll have to give us nice foot rubs. Ten minutes from each of you and vice versa if you guys win?” I offered.

“What if I don’t want a foot rub? I want a back rub,” said Carter.

“Winner gets to pick,” I confirmed.

“Deal, let’s do this,” Owen said.

Carter was up first and as he stood up to bowl he said to Isabella and I, “We’re going to kick your asses.”