.Chapter Sixteen.

Chapter Sixteen                      Carter                                                         

I had seen the headlights of a car pull up and assumed it was Evalyn getting back from her date; I wanted to get up and see what was going on. I decided it was none of my business and if Evalyn wanted to tell me later, I would listen but until then I wouldn’t ask. Nor would I go to the window like I wanted to and peek out past the curtain.

But even as I thought this I was getting off the couch and crossing the living room. I took a deep breath and held it as I carefully pulled back the curtain and the peaked around, hoping that neither of them saw what I was doing.

Thanks to the porch lights, I could see her perfectly. I could also see inside the car, see as she leaned over and kissed Owen. I watch her pulled back with a small smile and then open the door hoping out. When she got to the porch, she turned around to wave and I backed away from the curtain, letting it fall back into place before I went back to the couch and pretended like I had seen nothing.

Seconds later, I heard Evalyn and lock the door and walked inside. There was wrestling and then she swore as she stumbled over something- my shoes. I had forgotten to put them away again; I would have to tell her I was sorry when she came in.

When she appeared in the door I was ready to say sorry, I looked up at her and suddenly I couldn’t say a word. I opened my mouth but she was already speaking to me, “Put your shoes away from now on Carter.”

I didn’t think before I spoke I just blurted out whatever came to mind, “I’ll put them away when I please. Just like you come home when you please.” The moment the words left my mouth, I wanted so badly to be able to snatch them back. The look on Evalyn’s face of shock and hurt made me feel even worse. What had I just done?

She opened her mouth and shut it, looking at me angrily; she opened her mouth again and said, “Whatever Carter.” Then came into the living room and took a seat on the couch. I felt a feeling of quilt in the pit of my stomach. Now Evalyn was upset all because of me. I wanted to tell her I was sorry, but I couldn’t say it; the words wouldn’t come out.

I watched her head of the corner of my eye, pretending to watch the television so she wouldn’t notice my stare. After a few minutes, she stood up without saying a word and left the living room. I could hear her walk up stairs and shot her door softly behind her.

I followed up shortly after, ready for bed. When I heard her call my name will and asked me to take that cat away. I hesitated and then headed towards her bedroom. My hand on the doorknob I hesitated once more before I opened the door.

“Where is she?” I asked, looking around the room for the cat and not seeing her.

Evalyn lifted the covers and my eyes followed her gaze, and I found Jo curled up against Evalyn stomach in a neat ball. Even from where I stood I could hear the cat purring. I had to peel my eyes away from the exposed skin where Evelyn’s pajama shirt had brought up and wasn’t covering a bit of her stomach. I pulled my attention away from the revealed skin and focused on the cat.

Crossing the room, I went to pick up Jo and the back of my hand touched her stomach, and I held my breath. My heart stopped for a second then began working overtime. I’m sure my face was bright red, but thankfully the lights were out and the only source of light was coming from the hall. I prayed it wasn’t enough for her to see me blushing.

I picked up the cat and quickly started too retreated to the safety of my own room. When I got to her bedroom door, I stopped and said good night, glancing back over my shoulder at her. She had pulled the covers back up and looked ready to pass out.

“Good night, Carter,” she replied and then I shut the door behind me so Jo wouldn’t get back in. I walked across the hallway, being sure to make as little noise as possible as I opened my bedroom door and closed it with a click behind me after I had slipped inside. Dropping Jo on the bed as I passed it, I opened my closet and grabbed a change of clothes for bed.

As I curled up under my blankets Jo forced her way under and cuddled into my side. “Night Jo,” I yawned as my eyes began to fall.