.Chapter Thirty One.

Chapter Thirty One                 Evalyn

Colin and my mom left the first day of winter break. Colin’s early Christmas present to her was a week together without kids in Québec City. While they were gone, they would be seeing a musical before returning on Christmas Eve. The house had been left in mine and Carter's care. They had just created the perfect week for us, without even knowing!

"You ready to go for our walk?" Carter asked.

I pulled on my boots and got my winter jacket from its hooked by the door. "Ready," I said. We walked out of the house and I made sure it was locked before we left.

We had been walking around for a long time; the sky was starting to grow dark. The snow was falling softly around us as we walked mittened hand in mittened hand and strolled through with the Park. The trees were white with snow and the ground was blanketed with a soft layer. I dragged Carter off the shoveled path, shivering as I stepped in snow that went over the top of my boots.

Carter laughed as I muttered a few choice curse words under my breath as the snow melted in a puddle in my boot. I tried to pull the chunks of snow out of my boot, and after a minute I gave up. My socks were already soaked so what harm would a little more water do? Carter had continued walking ahead of me, I was hoping he wouldn’t notice as I grabbed a handful of snow and packed into a tight ball. Perfect for throwing.

"Don't you dare," he warned without looking back at me.

I raised an eyebrow mockingly, though he couldn't see it. "And if I do?" I said.

"You'll regret it," he replied.

I took aim and smirked as I said, "We'll see about that." Then I threw my snowball at his head.

He dodged left, my snowball missing him completely. I turned around and took off running away from him. I didn't make it five steps when something wet hit my back. I stopped running and turned to glare at him. "You did not just hit me with a snowball," I said in a shocked yet slightly amused voice.

He tilted his head to the side. "And if I did?" He asked.

"Well, I will have to get my revenge than, won't I?" I replied not giving him time to respond before I ducked down, grabbing another mitten full of snow. I had barely packing it before I threw it at him and then ran away as fast as my short legs would go, which wasn’t nearly as fasted as I wanted.

I heard the snow crunching beneath his feet as he quickly caught up with me. He grabbed me around my waist and tackled me to the snow. I groaned as I rolled over and wiped the snow from my face and shivered as the cold snow that touched my neck began to melt, some of it running down and soaking the shirt I wore under the jacket. Carter was still bracing himself over me, laughing as I narrowed my eyes at him. He looked down at me the same time as my hands grabbed fistfuls of snow, and I made my move. I quickly reached up and rubbed each snow- filled hand on either side of his face.

"You little brat," he hissed as the snow that hung to his hair and face melted. I grinned up at him, proud of my quick thinking. He lowered his face, his lip gently touching mine as he kissed me. I closed my eyes as he deepened the kiss, not minding the drops of water that fell from his hair.  I opened my eyes when he suddenly pulled away4, and I was greeted by snow being shoved in my face.