.Chapter One.

Chapter One                            Evalyn

Waking up and not being able to breathe - usually not a pleasant sensation at all.

It’s one thing, if it’s because you just had a great dream about your crush asking you out and the smothering you in kisses until you can’t breathe, and the dream is just so realistic that you jerk awake hoping for it to be real. That wasn’t the case that day, I’d been dreaming that I had been seconds away from being married to the guy of my dreams – funny right, because I had been dreaming about him- being swept up in his arms and carried into the sunset on some remote beach. Next thing I know, the beach has been replaced by a blob of black and gray fur. I shove my cat, Jo, off of my face where she had decided to lay down, and groaned. Rolling over, I rubbed the sleep out of one eye and glance at my clock.

That couldn’t be right, I thought as my eyebrows knit together in confusion. Then I remembered my mother coming in already and telling me to get up as my alarm clock yelled at me. I had turned it off and told her that I was awake, only to lie back in bed and had fallen asleep almost seconds later. Now I had only ten minutes to be awake and standing at my bus stop. I don’t think I had ever gotten ready that fast in my life. Undressing, then putting on a white blouse, a pleated blue, green, and white plaid skirt with knee high socks in record time.

Not bothering to brush out my tangled shoulder length blonde hair, I just grabbed a hair band and pulled it all back into a messy bun, hoping that it looked okay. As I ran down the stairs into the kitchen, crashing into the counter – that would be a nice bruise on my hip later- and grabbed a piece of bread then shoved it in the toaster.

I rushed to the bathroombrushed my teeth, and then hurriedback into the kitchen just as my toast popped up. I buttered it while it was still warm and quickly pushed it in my mouth as I put on my jacket and grabbed my backpack with my empty hand, while eating I rushed out the front door. As I rounded the corner to the bus stop at a light jog I could just see the bus turning the corner. I sprinted the rest of the way, just making it in time. I slumped into the first empty seat I could find, rolling my eyes at the bickering teenagers. I pulled out my iPod and put my ear buds in, turning up the volume, effectively tuning them all out.

The bus ride was thirty minutes long, even though the school was only twenty minutes away if you were driving slower than a Grandpa on Sunday, with all the stops the bus had to make; I couldn’t wait to get my own car! I settled in and leaned my head against the cold bus window, maybe I could get some more sleep now and go back to that perfect dream. When we got to the school I pulled myself out of my seat and trudged down the stairs – yup, I’m a morning person!

The hallways were full of uniformed kids standing around and talking, some of them were fooling with each other roughly, others chatting and laughing. I ducked around teens that were leaning against the locker but had their feet out in the middle of the hallway – I swear, they were trying to break my neck as I tripped and stumbled over a pair. Finally making it to my locker I slide down the front and sat on the floor, keeping my feet tucked close to me.

“Hey Eva, what’s up?” a voice asked from above me. I look up and standing there was Carter –or the super cutie from my dreams. He had moved here at the beginning of the year and instantly he had fit in with me and my friends.