21. To Kill or Not to Kill

Start from the beginning

Wynne noticed Thranduil had not mentioned they might still be killed later, even if they did obey. He certainly was a sly elf.

The half-orc bowed his head in compliance, obviously knowing that he had not many other options.

Thranduil continued: "This is only a precaution as I am sure you understand. Galion, bind him."

The uruk-hai held out his hands, silently allowing the elf to tie them tightly together.

It didn't take many minutes for the brothers to return with the woman, demurely riding in front. The elves carried one wailing orcling each and looked extremely uncomfortable about it.

When she saw her bound husband the woman's shoulders sagged even lower. "Please let me have my babies back," she begged. "I will not run away again. I promise."

Thranduil nodded curtly. "Fair enough. Nodir, Bronedir, if you please?"

The tiny uruk-hai were placed in their mother's waiting arms and soon ceased crying.

"Now that you are both here I shall inform you what your task is. If you accede we shall spare your lives." Again Thranduil omitted that this was still not decided. "You must take us to your friends; the other uruk-hai you mentioned. If they truly have turned to the good side they have nothing to fear from us. Will you do this?"

"You would have us betray our friends." A deep furrow had formed on the uruk-hai's forehead.

"It would not be a betrayal. I only wish to speak with them and I mean them no harm."

"You think we believe that?" the woman said. "We're not stupid. You will use us to find them and then you'll kill us all." She shivered noticeably where she sat, making the horse prance nervously and the babies whimper.

"I cannot promise to spare everybody but I will promise you this: if they prove themselves to be honest, and if you prove your honesty as well, you shall live. Whereas, if you refuse, you most certainly shall not." Thranduil pierced her with his icy stare.

"Using threats to force people to submit." The uruk-hai spat contemptuously on the ground. "Don't bother, Sidra. He's just like Saruman. He'll do anything to get his way."

Thranduil looked outraged at the comparison but only coldly repeated his question from before. "Will you do it?"

The uruk-hai and his wife locked eyes and seemed to come to some sort of silent agreement.

"Alright." The woman's glare at Thranduil was fierce.

Wynne felt sorry for her. She was forced to put her children's and husband's lives in the hands of strangers, and now had to risk her friends' lives too. All for a very slight chance of survival.

It was not hard to understand how she must feel.

As for herself, Wynne felt caught in the middle of something very unpleasant. The uruk-hai was right that Thranduil's ultimatum wasn't really fair. But they must have been aware this might happen, when they decided to marry and have children. The fact that they had been hiding here, in this inaccessible, barren landscape, proved that they had known.

The uruk-hai's dagger was removed from him and Galion searched his clothes for any other hidden weapons.

The woman too must be checked, a task that fell on a very dismal Wynne. "Sorry," she mumbled when she ran her hands over the worn fabric.

Standing that close, she felt her pleasant, spicy scent. She was still trembling, and Wynne's heart went out to her.

Neither the orc nor the woman carried anything more dangerous than a small knife each, obviously for eating and preparing food with, both of which were confiscated.