Chapter Thirty Nine - Enormity

Ryder's POV

She's obsessed with this search.

We have been working nonstop, driving everywhere within a ten mile radius, asking if they have seen a man that fits Damien's description. We left them our number, so if they do see him, they promised to tip us off. We need to be prepared.

Vivian still wants to go to the address Perry found. With deep consideration, I decided that if we do not get any results by the end of the week (which is tomorrow) then we will go. It took a seduction of grand effort and pleasure to convince her to even allow the week. I also pointed out that school isn't something she should be blowing off, especially if she still wants to become a detective. She talks to me about such things, her parents, Rosalie, Oliver... Damien, when she's especially tired or I have done something caring for her.

One time, I carried her up to her bedroom after a day of walking around the neighborhood and a night of documenting which places we went and the specific people we talked to, she passed out on the couch. Perry moved to lift her, but I glared at him with such intensity, he fell back into the armchair with a thud. She looks so peaceful and beautiful when she's asleep.

I worry, though. When I lifted her, she weighed a dangerously light weight. Her face was different, a sharper version. I knew she hadn't been eating much, but this is excessive. She must've lost at least twenty pounds since I last saw her healthy nearly two weeks ago. Two weeks ago, the night I cheated on her and she made out with Perry.

When I gently placed her on the bed, I couldn't fight the urge to run my fingers through her soft red hair and kiss her lips. She opened her eyes slowly, her eyelashes flittering softly.

"Ryder," she whispered. "Please don't let him hurt me again. I- I understand what love is now, you showed me. Love is unconditional, no matter what, you never harm the ones you love. Ryder, in the truest form of the words, I love you."

She starts to cry, "I've said the words before, to- to Damien and I am ashamed," she starts to breathe in gasps as though the weight of the world is crushing her. "I told him the words I tell you now, it isn't right, you deserve so much more. So much more. I-"

"Shhh," I calmed her. "I love you, in the truest form of the words. That's all that should matter, Damien will never be able to touch you again, that's a vow I will never break. Now sleep, my love."

"No, Ryder you don't-"

I kissed her lips, she protested for a moment, then succumbed to the urge for me that I know burns as bright in her soul as it does in mine for her.

That was three days ago, things haven't changed since then. Except for Vivian, she can't stay awake long anymore, her naps are more frequent, her coffee intake is through the roof, and she cannot hold food in her stomach for more than thirty minutes before she vomits. I am more terrified now than I have ever been. She refuses to see the doctor, claims she went and they told her it was simply a rare flu that was not contagious or life threatening, and it would cure itself in time. I do not believe her, neither does Perry.

Still, we cannot force her to the hospital without her consent or a guardians consent. I have been calling Gemma non-stop, but she never answers her cell phone. I even resorted to calling Penelope, needless to say she hung up when I explained why I was calling. I would call Oliver, except whenever I ask for his number, she becomes irrationally angry and locks herself away in her room. She's become irritable, and I am left with no alternative.

"Hello?" an uncertain voice answers my call.

"Hey, this is Ryder Daniels, I'm hoping to speak to a Piper-"