46

MIN JAEYOUNG

"study hard for the exams next week!" the teacher told us as he left the classroom, officially dismissing our school day.

i sighed in relief as i stared at my history book, "seems like i'll be studying more about you tonight."

miyeon tapped on my desk, gaining my attention in an instant, "are you gonna start studying tonight?"

i nodded, "the exams start on monday, miyeon."

miyeon pursed her lips, "i know..."

i tilt my head, noticing that she wasn't her usual bubbly self, "are you okay? you've been acting down these days."

miyeon shrugged and looked at me in the eye, "as long as you're okay, i am."

i chuckled dryly at her statement, poking her cheek as i said, "i'm always okay, miyeon. what are you talking about?"

she avoids my gaze, looking far onto the windows, "i guess i'm just caught up with my family's business."

"oh? is there something wrong?" i raised a brow in confusion, a bit worried that miyeon's undergoing pressure from her parents again.

"n-no... maybe... i just want you to be careful, always, okay?" miyeon forced as smile and went back to fixing her stuff.

my stomach churns at the uneasy feeling, "what do you mean..." i whispered lowly, staring at her back for awhile before starting to pack up my things as well.

i kinda didn't like how i have to study again for the exams next week. not that i hate studying, but exams are an actual pain for my brain. i can't help but get nervous whenever exams are nearing. i wanted to do well, at the same time i didn't really want to study that much.

after the three day exams, we have a shortened day to see our results and basically that's it, afterwards the remaining week of november is a whole break for the students. the reason is because a lot of people in heraphany would start preparing for efflorescence season. i mean, it is a month long festival.

"so, what are you going to do during the preparation week?" i questioned as we walked out the school building.

my hands wrapped around my backpack's straps as i walked her to her ride.

miyeon hummed sadly, "i'll be busy, you would be busy too."

"i'll be preparing for the grand ball, so are you."

i chuckled, "i almost forgot about that thing."

miyeon stifled a laugh, "i'll visit you some time at the party though!"

i scrunched my nose, "well, i will be in the kitchen throughout the whole thing anyways. it won't be that hard to find me."

miyeon scoffed, "did you see how big that place is!?"

i nodded, "i did, not even surprised."

miyeon grinned at me mischievously making me sneer at her, "what's with that grin." i say, a bit unsure on what she's up to now.

"i'll convince mrs kang to let out the kitchen once it's like during half of the party already! then you could enjoy it." miyeon exclaimed, her voice filled with excitement.

i shake my head, "the royal family wou—"

"like they actually would. no one really pays attention to the food after the dinner portion!" miyeon uttered.