Chapter Twelve

August 17, 2019

"Riley wake up!" Tom's sweet voice sounded in my ear.

I rolled over to face him, receiving a quick peck on the lips before I opened my eyes. "Tom it's so early! Let me sleep" I yawned.

He chuckled and then jumped on the bed to lay next to me. "Riley, darling, it's almost 10am." He got out of the bed and headed toward the door. "Please get dressed while I make you breakfast. And wear something nice!"

Even though I was confused as to why I had to dress nicely for a seemingly ordinary day, I did as he wished. I hope I'm not forgetting anything important, I thought to myself as my brain tried to figure out why I needed to get out of bed and dress nicely for Tom while I got ready for whatever was planned.

~•~•~•~

"Why do I have to wear this? I can't see anything," I complained as Tom led me forward out of the house with his hand on the small of my back.

"That's the point, love" he laughed. "Step up here, and watch your head."

"You know, I can think of a better use for this blindfold," I smirked as I maneuvered into what I assumed was the passenger seat of his car. Silence filled the air and I knew I flustered Tom.

"Maybe later," he whispered in my ear before closing the door, sending shivers down my spine. Great, now I was the one flustered.

"Where are we going?" I asked again with no better luck than before.

"It's a surprise, darling." laughed Tom.

~•~•~•~

After what felt like an eternity of asking Tom "Where are we going?" and "Are we there yet?", the car came to a stop and Tom turned off the car.

Still blindfolded, Tom helped me out of the car and across what felt like a cobblestone pathway. We made our way up a few stairs, through a door, down a hallway, and finally a few steps through a second door before Tom stopped us.

Song of the Chapter: Dream Come True - Frozen Ghost

"Ready, Flynn?" he asked as he hugged me from behind.

"Always, Holland." I replied excited to finally see where he had taken me.

The blindfold fell from my face as Tom loosened the knot. The scene in front of me was breathtaking. The room was lit with candles spread throughout the floor and on top of stands. Hanging by clear string from the ceiling was a massive flock of winged keys, varying in shapes and sizes. On the other side of the room was an antique-looking locked chest on top of a detailed column stand. It was magical.

"What is all this?" I asked, amazed.

Turning to face Tom I saw that he was grinning from ear to ear. I had never seen him so excited. Yet there was a hint of something else too. Nervousness, maybe? "Don't tell me you don't recognize the scene!" he gasped in a mocking manner.

Of course I recognized it. The room was set up as if it had been plucked straight out of the dreams of a Harry Potter fan. It was unmistakably the third task guarding the Philosopher's Stone, the winged keys were a dead give away of that. But I still wasn't sure what any of this means and what it was all for. There was only one way to find out so I looked at Tom for guidance.

He nodded me forward, confirming my suspicions that I had to reenact the scene and find the proper key. I was looking for a big old-fashioned one, probably similar to the lock on the chest. If the parallel was as detailed as it had been so far, and as detailed as a Potterhead such as Tom would ensure, I knew what I was looking for. My eyes scanned the numerous winged keys looking for one with a bent wing- after all, that's what the one in the series was like.

"They're not all going to attack me are they?"

"Of course not," chuckled Tom, "It's magical but it's not that magical."

Finally, I spotted it. An antique key that was the perfect size and shape with a bent wing. Unfortunately for me, I was too short to reach it. I tried jumping for it, but my fingertips just barely grazed the key. Again and again I jumped with no luck and turned to Tom for help.

His lips were pressed together as if he was holding himself back from bursting into laughter at my failed attempts. "If only you had a flying broom," he sighed.

As he said this I noticed that his gaze shifted over to the far side of the room. My eyes darted over to where he was looking. I really shouldn't have been surprised, it's Tom after all. There against the wall was a classic broomstick attached to a chair. I quickly grabbed the chair and brought it over to the winged key I desired. The broom was positioned in a way that forced me to stand on the chair while 'riding' the broom. Rolling my eyes and smiling at the sheer detail and effort Tom put into whatever this was, I mounted the broom. Now at the perfect height, I reached my arm up and grabbed the key.

I made my way to the back of the room where the chest was, making sure to take in every incredible detail I passed on the way. My hands were shaking with anticipation, making it difficult to insert the key at first, but after a few deep breaths I got it in and turned it. The lock made a sound that indicated that it had been unlocked. I looked back at Tom who was standing only a few feet behind me. He looked more nervous now than he had looked before.

A shiny gold ball with detailing immediately caught my eye as I opened the chest. Attached to the gold ball was a pair of wings. This object was none other than the Golden Snitch, the most important ball in the game of Quidditch. A Seeker catching the snitch awards their team 150 points and was the only true way to end a game of Quidditch. It was very rare that the team whose Seeker caught the Golden Snitch would lose, but it was possible. In the 1994 Quidditch World Cup, for example, Ireland won the game, but Krum, the Bulgarian Seeker, caught the snitch.

It was an almost exact replica of the Golden Snitch from the movies, except this one had small clasps on each side of it. I picked up the snitch carefully. Slowly, I undid the clasps and opened the snitch. Inside was a folded up piece of paper.

Unfolding the paper revealed "150 points to Gryffindor for catching the Golden Snitch" written in Tom's handwriting. I frowned in confusion. Gryffindor was Tom's Hogwarts House (Hufflepuff was mine), so he must be saying he caught the snitch, whatever that represented. Maybe I'm the snitch, I thought, thinking of all the Harry Potter valentines puns that revolved around the snitch.

With the snitch and the note in my hand, I turned around to ask Tom what it meant. My jaw dropped and I became speechless before I had the chance to ask anything. There in front of me was an excited and nervous looking Tom... kneeling and holding a small box in his hands.

"Riley Flynn, you are the most amazing woman I know. Meeting you seven years ago was one of the greatest things that has happened to me. We've had our ups and downs, but I don't regret any of them, even the worst of it, because it all led to this moment and has made us stronger than ever. We slipped through each other's fingers once before, I never want that to happen again. I can't imagine a life without you, Riley. You make me happier than I ever thought possible and I know that, if you want to too, we can make each other happier for the rest of our lives!" He took a deep breath and smiled, "Will you marry me?"

Silent tears of joy streamed down my face as I nodded, "Yes, of course!"

Tom took my left hand in his and slipped the engagement ring on my finger. It was one of the most beautiful things I had ever seen. He stood up and kissed me passionately before wrapping me in his arms as if he never wanted to let go of this moment.

Eventually we separated. I looked down to reread the note that was still in my right hand. Looking back into Tom's eyes with a giant smile on my face I said, "Gryffindor may have caught the snitch, but Hufflepuff won." (((A/N: Like with Krum and Ireland; Gryffindor=Tom, Hufflepuff=Riley)))

He laughed, "I love you so much, Riley."

"I know!" I laughed back, "I love you too."

***A/N: This proposal is literally goals for me I wanna cry (Sorry my writing can't do it the justice it deserves)