Chapter One

September 4, 2012

I woke up to the sound of my alarm blaring.  The song Wake Me Up by Avicii started again every 10 minutes as I hit the snooze button over and over, not wanting to leave the comfort of my bed.  My mother gently knocked on the door before entering my room and opening the curtains.  The bright morning sun illuminated the room causing me to fully wake up- finally.

"You need to get up now, sweetie.  We don't need you being late for your first day of school," my mother said as she kissed my forehead.  Reluctantly, I got out of bed, pulled my hair into a messy bun, and made my way downstairs where the aroma of cinnamon pancakes met my nose from the kitchen. 

"Good morning, Riley," my father greeted me as I sat across from him at the kitchen table.

"Mornin' dad," I replied, grabbing myself a plate of pancakes and fresh fruit. 

The deliciousness of breakfast overcame the nauseous feeling that had taken over my body the minute I had woken up.  I almost forgot why I felt sick until my father spoke again.  "So, are you nervous for your first day at the new school?"

I took a moment to think about my answer while clearing the plates from the table.  "Yeah, I guess so.  But I'm also pretty excited."  Thinking about starting over made my stomach turn as the anxiety and excitement returned.  Today I start my first day of school in England.  My family moved here from Canada at the beginning of summer after I finished grade ten because of my mum's job.  Lucky enough the family next door has a daughter my age, Rebecca.  She's been the only thing that has kept me sane and semi-social since moving here.  Thanks to her, I know a few people who I will be going to school with, so at least I'm not going in completely friendless.  As if on cue, my phone vibrated.

Becca💜: Don't forget we're walking together. Be ready in 10!

Shit! I raced back up to my room and threw on the outfit I had already laid out the night before.  I chose a simple navy-blue t-shirt with a chest pocket tucked into a pair of light-washed jeans.  With the little time I had left to get ready I opted for a simple makeup look and a side braid.

Becca💜: I'm outside when you're ready

Just grabbing my shoes

~•~•~•~

We got to the school early so Becca decided to give me a tour of where all my classes were and other need-to-know places, most importantly- the cafeteria!  On our way to the gymnasium, Becca ran into her friend Patrick who was waiting for her beside our lockers.  He's the class clown type of student, the type where there's never a day when the people he's with don't erupt into a fit of laughter.  I met him a few times during the summer when Becca had group outings or at parties, but we didn't talk much outside of the friend group.  They were deep in conversation about someone I didn't know so I scanned the hallway taking in my new surroundings as Becca and Patrick talked. 

My eyes fell on a small group of guys standing at the lockers a short way down the hall.  One of them caught my eye immediately.  His brown curls; his chocolate brown eyes, soft yet piercing; and his smile.  His smile- one that could light up an entire room in seconds.  He was leaning against his locker talking a boy with dirty-blond hair and sharp blue-eyes.  The brown haired boy noticed me staring and smiled.  The way he smiled melted my heart and made me blush.  I quickly looked away and joined in on Patrick and Becca's conversation, which had evolved into a discussion about our summers.

My attention turned back to the guys when I heard one of them shout, "Give me back my phone, mate!"  The brown hair boy held his hand out toward the blond. "Harrison, I mean it!" he said reaching for his phone that was kept out of reach by the blond boy, who I assumed to be Harrison.