Chapter Eleven

I approached the door and knocked three times. It was only a short walk here from the bar, leaving me little time to compose myself. I took deep breaths, waiting for the door to open.

A figure briefly appeared at the front window, followed by the sound of footsteps down the stairs. The door opened and I was greeted with a small smile. "Hey Riley, come on in." He said, stepping aside so I could enter. We walked upstairs and into the kitchen. "Would you like some tea?"

"Yes, please." I replied, taking in my surroundings and attempting to compose my thoughts. "Thanks again, Patrick." When I had called him I wasn't sure what he would say. It had been a while since we'd seen each other despite living so close to each other. But deep down I knew I could still count on him, and if it were reserved he could count on me.

"You know I'm always here for you, girl." Patrick hesitated before continuing, "What happened?" I hadn't told him details when I called, only that I broke up with Isaac.

I felt my eyes start to tear up again and a lump began to form in my throat. "I don't really want to talk about it right now." More like I didn't want to cry again.

"We don't have to talk about it," Patrick said as he handed me a cup of tea. "Did you catch the City game?"

"Of course not! I was too busy watching the superior team play." I joked. It was the perfect distraction and he knew it. It's been on-going since we became friends. Most people in high school who followed the Premier League cheered for Chelsea or Arsenal, but we decided to have a friendly rivalry over which Manchester team was better, Manchester City or Manchester United, to make things interesting. It was a rivalry he often won.

"Last I checked City won 5-0 and United only won 2-1," he retorted.

I rolled my eyes, but laughed, "Doesn't mean anything, Patrick. You'll see Man United will reign victorious when they come to face each other." It felt good to laugh again.

He laughed too, "In your dreams."

The welcome distraction was all too short. At that moment I wished it wouldn't end. I wished I could avoid reality forever, but I knew I couldn't. "Can I ask you a favour?"

"Of course," he said, taking my now empty tea cup and put it in the sink. "What do you need?"

"I think I want to stay at Becca's for a few days starting tomorrow, I have a spare key and I'll text Becca about it tomorrow." I took a few breaths so I wouldn't start crying. "I don't want to go back to my apartment because Isaac will probably be there..."

"I can go get your stuff and bring it to Becca's after breakfast," he said as if he read my mind. "You can sleep in my room tonight, I'll take the couch." I tried to deny his offer, but he insisted that he was fine on the couch and gave me no choice but to stay in his room for the night.

But I couldn't sleep. Each time I closed my eyes the only thing I could picture was Isaac and Charlotte together. I didn't want to relive that experience all night, so I opted to stare at the various things around Patrick's room, creating stories for each one to pass the time.

~•~•~•~

I pulled out my phone to text Becca as I sat in the back of the cab on my way to her place. In the text I gave a Sparknote explanation of what had happened and asked if I could stay at her and Harrison's. After breakfast I had given Patrick the key to my apartment so that he could grab some of my things for me and bring them to Becca's. I probably should have asked her before Patrick and I left his flat, but I figured she would say yes.

Almost immediately after I send the text my phone vibrated, alerting me to the incoming call I was receiving from Becca. "Hey Becca I'm really so-"