{Chapter 39} Somewhere Only We Know

Chapter 39

Danny

"Easy, easy come on, I'll help you onto the couch," I say steadying her as she slowly makes her way onto the couch and I set her down gently.

"I can walk Danny, I'm not a handicap," She grumbles but I smile slightly

"I know, but I like taking care of you," I chide playfully and she rolls her eyes, grumbling and trying to rub her cast.

"Don't do that," I swat her hand away from it and she flinches, guilt and hurt flashing through me and I lift her hand up, kissing it gently and rubbing it.

"Thank god I'm out of the hospital, I hated it," She mutters and I nod.

She was released from the hospital an hour ago and considering the police hadn't released her apartment yet. I wasn't sure she even wanted to go back there, I sure as hell wouldn't.

"Ugh, this cast is too damn itchy!" She complains and tried to rub through it,

"I know, but it comes off in four weeks, you'll live," I remind and she leans back frustrated.

"I wish I didn't."

I cringe at that line and sit up, gently turning towards her and lightly gripping her shoulder, ignoring the slight flinch.

"Don't ever say that again."

"Danny, I was just kid-"

"No. Don't ever say it again Fayelynn, because if you didn't live I don't know what I would do, you're not allowed to think or say that again," I instruct and she rolls her eyes.

"I'm sure you would be fine without me," It seems dismal but I can hear the quaver behind her voice.

"No. I really wouldn't have."

*~*

The worst part about living in a small town?

Nothing "exciting" happens, and when something does happen?

It's suddenly bigger than J.C's ego And that says a lot.

To say that an attacking and a rape (I still couldn't even swallow that word) is exciting would be the understatement of the century. Our entire town knew about it, hell, it got a front page story in our local newspaper The Mancheston Mariner. It included a front page blow up of Faye's school picture.

Young Girl Ràped by a Fellow High School Peer! Who's Fault Was It Really?

The article featured a wonderful example of how too many teenagers made bad decisions and weren't responsible to live on their own. They mentioned how leaving a key under the doormat was a stupid move, and given her background (her fathers drunk habits and his recent arrest) she was portrayed as a reckless teenage rebel who didn't know the real world. It didn't say a word about how BLAKE made the decision to break into her apartment. How BLAKE was the one who was drunk. How Blake did what he did. There was undeniable evidence. But there was also town gossip and Faye's and her horrid excuse for a family's past history.

How did the victim become the guilty?

How did it happen to someone so sweet and kind, caring and understanding? Someone who helped everyone she could. How?

Sometimes, I'm a little ashamed to be from this town.

The other day Alex went to the grocery store to pick up milk and they literally went up to her and asked her if she knew Faye. Rude. It got taken one too far to call up Faye, me, dad and mum and even Mari and Riley for an insider story! Even offered to pay.