{Chapter 32} And We Have a Runner! (Prom Part 1)

Chapter 31~ And We Have A Runner! (Prom Part 1)

Fayelynn

“Come on, Mikey! We have to go, or you’re going to miss the bus!” I yell out from the kitchen

“Coming Fayely! Give me a minute!” He shouts back and I sigh, straightening my white peplum top and formal blazer.

Why was I dresses so fancy may you ask?

Well, I had gotten a call from Riverton State University about a work-study scholarship program. However I needed to go in for an interview at 10:00am this morning to see if I qualified. I hadn’t told anybody yet, not wanting to get hopes up and was a little freaked out by it. I had applied to universities all over the country, hoping to get lucky but if I got into this one, it would be a little closer to home.

“Okay, let’s go,” Mikey said, swinging his backpack over his shoulder. I opened up the door and nearly tripped on a package.

 A really fancy wrapped package any way.

And flowers.

Picking it up, I noticed the note on the front. It very simply read

Open the box and cancel your shopping plans,

I love you

-Danny

Smiling, I put the box on the kitchen counter, if I opened it now I would be late.

“Come on Mikey, let’s go,” I grabbed his hand and drove him to school. We missed the bus anyway.

“Miss Collins?” The monotone voice called out and I stood up, following the assistant to an office. The campus was incredible, green grass lawns and well kept gardens surrounding old brick buildings.

“You must be… Fayelynn Collins,” the dean of Admissions greeted me from her large office chair. She seemed friendly enough, but the type to get down to business immediately.

“Yes, hello ma’am,” I held out my hand politely and she shook it.

“Let’s talk about the scholarship that you are qualified for,” she says and gestures to the seat. I take a deep breath, twisting the ring on my left ring finger nervously. “Are you engaged?” She eyes and raises an eyebrow at me.

“Oh, um, no ma’am. It’s actually a promise ring, n-not an engagement ring,” caught off guard by the question I manage to stutter through it.

Smooth, Fayelynn. Very, very smooth.

“Oh, how sweet. Are you in a relationship?” She asks. I feel like they are character questions, weather I’m wearing the promise ring my ex gave me or if I’m crazy.

“Yes ma’am,” I can’t help but smile happily at the thought of it.

“How sweet, so Fayelynn, you graduated a semester early from high school, it appears that you have a genius level IQ, but there are some personal questions that we need to ask,” she fold her hand and I bite my lip nervously.

“Um, sure. Go ahead.”

“Okay, we have to run background checks on all of our students and even though you come up completely clean, it appears that you are the sole guardian of your brother, Michael and that your father, has quite the rap sheet, with several DUI’s and domestic disturbance violations,” she says and my stomach drops.

I knew it was too good to be true

“Um, yes ma’am. I am Mikey’s sister and I’m taking care of him, and my father… He is an alcoholic, yes, but-“