Chapter Twenty Four

Darkness followed her like a stalker as she ran to escape it. It crept around every corner, watching her every step. Running, Sabrina hit a white wall. She turned and pressed her back against it. The darkness took human form as it neared her. A door opened, allowing white light to shine through. She ran inside. Elisha stood before her with his arms wide open. She ran into them, taking in the softness of his skin. "Marry me, beautiful."

Sabrina stirred as she took deep breaths. That was some dream. Or nightmare more like it, she thought. Moving her fingers and back hurt like hell. They cracked as she tried to sit up. She felt a small body move about on her feet. She peered around the beige-colored room. Red roses and carnations sat in white and blue vases on the mantle next to a flatscreen television mounted to the wall. She noticed Jennifer laying in Edward's lap as they sat on a cramped green floral sofa. When did those two become a thing, she wondered. She felt an arm move across her stomach. She glared into Elisha's steel-blue eyes. Tear stains were present on his smiling face.

He took hold of her hand and leaned toward her, kissing her lips. "Good morning, beautiful. How are you feeling?"

Sabrina smiled, happy to see his smile again. "I feel okay besides the achy back and hands."

"I'm glad you're feeling better," he answered. He rocked Madeline's shoulder, making her stir from her slumber.

Jennifer stretched and yawned aloud. She glared at Sabrina and sprang from Edward's lap, causing him to wake up.

"Sabrina Leigh," she said, sitting on the opposite side of the bed. "Girl, you're awake. Praise Jesus."

"Mommy!" Madeline sobbed. "Mommy! You're finally awake."

"I'm going to go get Ms. Zora and the others. I'll be back." Jennifer said, kissing her forehead and jumping off the bed. She grabbed Edward's hand on the way out of the door. 

He pulled her back, stopping Jennifer in her footsteps. "Maybe we should give Sabrina and Elisha a little time alone," Edward said, rising from the sofa. He stretched. He walked over to the bed and kissed his sister on the forehead. He tickled Madeline on the stomach, making the little girl giggle. 

"Uncle Edward," she said staring up at him. "Is daddy going to ask the question now?"

Edward placed his index finger to his lips while smiling. "Come on munchkin," he said, lifting her up from the bed. He placed her feet on the ground and guided her by the hand out of the door. 

Jennifer wiped a tear from her eye as she followed them out of the door. 

Sabrina furrowed her eyebrows, then glared at Elisha. Tears welled in his eyes. "Lisha, what's wrong?"

  He intertwined his fingers with hers. He smiled at her as a single tear slid down his cheek. "Sabrina," he said, clearing his throat. "There's something the doctor wanted me to tell you."

Sabrina's heart pumped against her chest. Why couldn't the doctor tell her herself, she thought. "Okay. What's up?"

"You're...," Elisha sobbed, allowing another tear to fall. He smiled. "You're pregnant."

Sabrina's eyes grew wide. "Are you sure?"

"Dr. Sawyer did your lab work and found that you're two weeks along," he said.

Sabrina covered her face with her hands. She sobbed aloud. This couldn't have been happening. First, someone tried to hurt her and now she had to deal with being pregnant. All Elisha's father was going to do was attack her even further. She knew he wasn't going to stop at anything to make feel every regret and pain for falling in love with his son. Sabrina couldn't take that chance. 

He sat on the bed beside her and moved her hands from her face. "Please don't cry," he said, kissing her lips. 

"Elisha, I can't do this to you. Your father is going to do--"

"--Sabrina, that man means nothing to me. You, Madeline, and my unborn son or daughter do. And if you think leaving me is the solution, then think about how I would feel. Think about Madeline. Hell, think about yourself."

Sabrina sobbed. "Elisha, he won't stop. You see what he did to me."

Elisha pressed his fingers against her lips, then replaced it with a kiss. "Jonah can split the world in half. That's not going to stop me from loving you," he said. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a small white gold ring with a blue diamond that sat in between two white diamonds. Taking her hand into his, he took a deep breath. "Before you say anything else about my father and before you say anything else about how this is too fast, Sabrina Leigh Ellis, today marks the sixth month that we've been together. I told you that I knew that I love you when I first saw you. I meant that."

Sabrina glared into his eyes. Tears slid down her cheeks. She couldn't truly say she understood how God worked, but she knew he did everything for a reason. She wiped away the tears with a free hand. 

"Sabrina, you have no idea how much you've changed me," Elisha said. "You've changed me for the better. You see through my flaws, and you love me for them. We can take as long as we need, but I know who I want to share the rest of my life with. Will you marry me?"

Sabrina covered her face and cried. This was the very same place he professed his love for her six months ago, she thought. Now, he was proposing to her at the hospital of all places. Still, she couldn't help think of all the negative that they'd gone through. She couldn't forget the way his father nearly attacked her in his home. She couldn't forget nearly losing her life. 

She glared into his steel-blues eyes once more and smiled. But through all that negative came some of the best positives. This man loved her despite her hangups, despite her flaws, and despite her fears. Madeline smiled more, grandma Zora smiled every time he came around, and he and Edward were like brothers. She couldn't forget Amber and Lori. Those two women were like glue to her. No one came close to being like that except for Jennifer, and even she pushed her to be with Elisha. Sure, there were a lot of negatives, but the positives outweighed them tenfold. It was time for her to trust God more, especially since she had another little life on the way. "Yes."

Elisha slid the ring on her finger, then kissed her. "I love you."

"I love you too."

"Yes!" Jennifer yelled from behind the door. "Grandma! Amber! Ms. Lori. Y'all, she said yes."