Chapter Twenty One

The humming. It was so loud. Everything around Sabrina swam. And the darkness. It was so thick, so muffling. Wherever she was, she couldn't make out any figures or objects. She just sat tied to a chair. She licked her lips, feeling their cracked dryness. As much as she wanted water, she'd knew she would throw it back up from the nausea settling over her stomach. 

This was her fault, she thought. She should have heeded Jonah's words. The loss of her apartment and the loss of her job all added up to her. He was sending a message to her. She placed her own daughter in danger for love. She ruined Elisha's relationship with his father. This was all because of her. 

Footsteps shook her from her train of thought. She moved her head around like a radar, hoping to hear where the person was coming from. The door creaked open. A welcomed cool breeze brushed over her body, calming the nausea she felt.

"Looks like someone's finally awake," the distorted voice said. 

She shivered, feeling what she perceived was a finger sliding over her cheek. She sobbed, feeling the hand creep down her tank top and into her bra. 

"You are so beautiful," the voice spoke again. 

She felt a pair of hands untie her from the chair and lift her up from the chair. Every joint ached as if she hadn't stood in days. She shook as she felt the person carry her. She struggled as much as she could to get away, yet her fight only got her slapped and thrown upon a hard mattress. 

"Piss me off, and I'll give you what you deserve. Obey, and I'll treat you right. Do you understand?"

She nodded her head. "I do," she gasped, feeling her throat constrict from lack of water.

"You thirsty?"

Sabrina nodded her head. 

"You gotta work for it," the voice said. 

The unzipping of a zipper and the rustling of pants brought tears to her eyes. This wasn't about to happen, Sabrina thought. Feeling her body being moved to the center of the mattress, she managed to scream as loud as she could. The person grunted while yanking her jeans off. 

"Stop!" 

"Shut the fuck up bitch," the voice growled.

All she could think about was her family. Seeing Elisha's beautiful eyes when he smiled at her. Hearing Madeline laugh when her daddy chased her throughout the house. Feeling grandma Zora's hug. Tasting Edward's chicken and andouille sausage gumbo. All she wanted was to be back in the arms of those who she loved the most. But even if that meant she had to give it up to protect them, then she was willing to do it. 

"Get off of her, man," another voice yelled. "I told you not to touch her."

"So what the fuck do you want me to do then?"

"You touch her, I shoot you."

Sabrina felt her pants being pulled back up her hips. "I'm so sorry this is happening to you," the distorted voice said. "It'll all be over with soon."

*** 

"Daddy," Madeline tugged the end of Elisha's shirt. "Where's mommy? She's been gone too long."

Elisha picked her up and kissed her forehead. "I know. Daddy's going to do all that he can to bring her back home."

He glanced at his mother and Ms. Zora as he sat the child back onto the floor. He watched Madeline sit in between his mother and Ms. Zora. His family had been disrupted because of one man. This had to end. He was tired of having to tiptoe around his father all because he dated a black woman.