[23] Twenty Third Scalpel

Start from the beginning

"You need to rest." He said.

Macey's eyes were closed and breathing evenly. "Thank you...Jaxon." She smiled at him.

He remained silent, and his forehead ceased at the same time. It's not the first time Macey snapped with him, but he's always curious about her smile. Na kahit nahihirapan na ito, nginingitian pa'rin siya. Her smile always remains, as if even everything will fall apart, and everything will turn upside down, her smile will never fade...for him. Even if she'll cry.

"I'll get going...matulog ka na." sabi niya nalang. It's almost midnight. He also wanted to rest. Both of them are tired.

Nagumpisa na siyang maglakad nang mahawakan ni Macey ang pulso niya. "S-stay for a while...Jaxon." It sounded like a plea.

He sighed before sitting on the edge of the bed, and fixing the comforter. Macey held her wrist still with her cold hands before dozing of to sleep. He felt her losing her grip and he heard a soft snore. Hindi niya alam kung bakit napangiti siya nang marinig niya 'yon.

He made sure that Macey is already in deep slumber before standing up, and leaving the room. Nang makalabas siya sa guestroom ay saktong tumunog ang cellphone niya. There's an email from Zane. He opened it as he made his way to the kitchen.

Zane Luna

Quarters at 9AM.

Napahigpit ang hawak niya sa cellphone bago niya 'yon inilapag sa counter top. He fisted out his wallet and took out two papers inside. Black Coffins got it wrong. He read the context of the paper once again, before crumpling it hard. He wanted to throw or either burn the paper...but he just can't.

WTHN3M

Be careful of being alive again. It'll kill you.

B.C.

***

MORNING came and Jaxon was preparing himself for the meeting. He just had a quick shower before wearing shirt and a simple cargo pants. Hinanap niya ang cellphone niya sa kwarto niya pero hindi niya 'yon mahanap. Kinuha niya lang ang susi ng kotse niya bago bumaba. He can hear the sound of utensils downstairs so he didn't mind checking Macey inside the guest room.

He went to the kitchen to get something to drink before he leaves, even though he's expecting Macey to cook something. Naamoy niya ang nakakatakam na amoy ng sinangag. His stomach grumbled at that, pero natigilan siya nang makita niya si Macey na nakatuwad sa counter top habang hawak ang isag pamilyar na bagay.

His forehead formed into a knot upon seeing it. "Was that my phone?" he asked.

Kaagad namang napapitlag ang dalaga sa boses niya. She almost dropped his phone as she look at him with wide eyes. Enough proof that she's surprised seeing him. Moments later, she smiled...sheepishly.

"Naiwan mo 'yata eh..."

Tinignan niya lang ang dalaga na para bang nahuli sa sarili nitong kalokohan. Now, she's back to her normal self, and he's starting to get pissed off too.

"Bakit mo pinapakialaman?"

"Walang passcode e." Nanlaki kaagad ang mata nito at napatakip sa bibig.

Minsan talaga nahuhuli ang isda sa sariling bibig e.

Macey raised her hands in defeat. She shook her head in panic as she looked at him. "I did nothing...I swear..."

He sighed. Lumapit nalang siya at kinuha ang cellphone niya sa dalaga at kaagad na binulsa. Hindi na niya ito pinansin at binuksan ang coffee maker to have his coffee. She seemed fine now. His comfort seemed to be effective—or she's just trying hide it...or she's really okay because he said he'll help her find her friend.