Mothers and Arguments

"Good evening, Jackie." I said as me and Jonny walked through the door.

"Hello, dears." Jackie kissed me and Jonny on the cheek. I wasn't really looking forward to tonight. I felt sick, and I didn't feel like eating. I sighed as I walked into the living room and sat on the sofa, with Jonny sitting next to me. He rested his arm behind me.

"You alright?" He asked me.

"Fine. I just don't feel very well. It's like something bad's going to happen." I muttered.

"Alright, tell me if it gets any worse and we can go home." Jonny gave me a kiss on the cheek.

"Okay, tonight, dinner will be served in about ten minutes, and uh- Esme, you alright, love?" She asked.

"Huh? Yeah, fine, thank you." I said.

*** dinner ***

"So, uh, Adam, any females?" Martin asked.

"Ugh! Dad! Stop asking me that! Ask Jonny and Esme about their relationship or something." Adam pointed everyone's attention to us.

"Yes, actually, how are you two?" Jackie asked.

"Esme?" He tried to communicate telepathically.

"Uh, okay. We've decided to start talking about the chance of kids." I said. "Uh, and, it's been quite quiet." I shrugged. My phone started to ring. My mother.

"Who is it?" Jonny asked.

"My mom." I looked at my phone.

"Are you going to answer it, love?" Jackie asked.

"Uh, well, sure." I answered it. I didn't realise how loud my phone was.

"Mom?" I answered bluntly.

"Yes, hello, Esme. Why did you take forever to answer? Never mind, I don't care. Where are you?" She asked.  She was horrible. She used to hit me, blame me for everything, and used to leave me to go without supper. Horrible.

"I'm at Jackie's house. Why?" I said in one tone.

"Is your boyfriend there?" She asked. I looked at Jonny.

"Why?"

"I'm coming." She hung up on me and I threw my phone back into my bag.

I looked up and everyone tried to immediately hide the fact they were listening to every word.

"I hate her. I am so sorry. She is going to come and ruin the whole night and it will be all my fault and she'll blame me for all her life problems and if I cross the line she'll just hit me again, and I've brought that monster here." I started tearing up at the end, but was comforted by Jonny who put his hand on my knee.

"It's okay, chick. We can handle her. Remember Martin's mother?" Jackie chuckled. I chuckled too.

*** some time later ***

I didn't realise my leg was bouncing up and down until Jonny placed his hand on it.

"It'll be okay." He said. The doorbell rang and I shot up and answered the door.

"Mother."

"Esme. Aren't you going to take my coat?" She said. I took her coat and watched her scowl at everyone.

"Mother, this is Jackie, and Adam, and this is Jonny." He came over and held my hand. Martin came through. "That's Martin."

"So- this is your new boyfriend? Seriously, Esme. Very funny. Where is he hiding?" She looked Jonny up and down and pushed past him.

"This is him, mom, I'm not kidding." I said.

"Oh. Well then. Hi, I am Melissa Edwards, but you can call me Mrs Edwards." She looked at him like he was worthless.

"Anyways, mom, what are you doing here?" I said, annoyed.

"To tell you me and your father had separated, and that it's all your fault. If you hadn't of been born, this would never have happened."

"Excuse me?" Jackie said.

"Mom, you can criticize me all you want, but please not here." I said.

"What is that supposed to mean? Silly girl. Don't you dare say I criticize you when I'm just giving you reality. Especially in front of people. Have you no manners?" She told me off.

"Mom, get out of this house right now before I chuck you out." I said, sternly.

"How dare you!" She slapped me around the face.

"Right, get out of my house you bloody cow!" Jackie yelled at my mother.

"Fine. But know this, you are not worthy of dating my daughter. You useless-" My mother began talking to Jonny, but was interrupted by me.

"I hate you. I hate you so much. Don't you ever talk to Jonny like that ever again because he is more worthy than anyone I have ever met. He is the best person I could ever date, do you know why? There's a thing called love and I bloody love Jonny Goodman! So don't you ever say he is useless again before picking up a dictionary and reading the definition, because Jonny is not useless. You are bloody useless! Jonny is caring, generous, loving person who you will hopefully never have the pleasure of meeting again! So, hit me all you want, but I don't care anymore. I don't give a damn, mother." I yelled. I opened the door and pushed my mother out.

I turned around and received the biggest hug ever from Jackie.

"You're going to make a bloody brilliant daughter-in-law." She laughed. I laughed too. She let go, and I hardly had time to breathe before Jonny kissed me. As soon as he stopped, we laughed and grabbed each other's hands.

"Let's go eat some crimble crumble." I said, everyone cheered as we went and got the crumble.