What did I do? (14)

"Are you alright?" A soft voice asks from behind me, making me jump.

I spin around to find a boy sitting at a table near the window. I stare at him with my mouth open. I stopped crying almost at once when he spoke up. How could I not have seen him when I came in?!

"I...I'm sorry. I didn't mean to disturb you." I stutter, trying to compose myself.

I take a deep breath and wipe my eyes with sleeve. He moves away from the light so that I can see his face. He's blonde and has brown eyes. He's someone all girls must've been after in high school.

"Are you sure that you're alright and don't need my help?" He asks again.

"Yeah. I'm sure. I'm fine. I just accidently banged my hand in a door and making me cry is really easy, so..." I trail off because he's walking towards me. He stops near a couch and puts his hands on its back.

He checks my uniform and asks "Do you work here?" He puts down the books which he was holding.

"Yeah." I reply in a strangely bold manner.

"Strange. I've never seen you around before." He says.

"No. You wouldn't have. I just started work here a few weeks ago." I tell him.

He nods in reply. "Who're you working under?" He asks.

"Helen." I reply.

"Wait. If you're working under Helen then you're a --"

"Housemaid." I finish for him.

"But you look educated and different in ways from the other housemaids." He says.

"I get that a lot." I mutter to myself staring at the floor.

"I'm sorry. I didn't get what you just said." He says.

"I was just saying that I should get back to work." I tell him turning towards the door.

"You never gave me your name!" He calls after me.

"Cassandra. Yours?" I ask him.

"Mason." He tells me. He nods and I close the door between us.

I quickly walk down the corridor and go down the stairs. I find Anna coming out of a room.

"Hey!" I call to her, waving.

"Hi." She replies smiling.

"Still cleaning chandiliers?" I ask cracking a smile.

"No. I got upgraded. Now I'm changing cushion covers." She jokes pointing towards the basket piled with cushion covers beside her.

"Have you seen Helen?" I ask her.

"I'm right here." She says coming out of the room that Anna did. Helen closes the door behind her.

"What do you want?" She asks her voice stern as usual.

"I have three days left to complete my task. So, I went up to the library but the door was locked." I explain.

"That's strange. I never locked it." She tells me.

Then she turns to Anna and tells her to take the cushion covers to the laundry and get them washed. Then she turns to me. "Let's go ask Mrs. Blake if she knows who did."

She starts walking. She leads the way and I follow. I know that I've heard that name somewhere before but I can't remember where. I rack my brain but nothing comes up. I give up and follow Helen through a large pair of doors.

The room is huge compared to even that library which I was sorting out. The walls are lined with shelves. But instead of books on them, there are medals, trophies and framed certificates on them. Several couches are scattered around the room forming small sitting areas. The celing is magnificent. Several chandliers are hanging from it but not one is on because the curtains are pulled back from the large windows, allowing sunlight to flood in.

On one side of the room is a table with a woman seated there working on a laptop, a cup of, I don't know coffee maybe in one hand. Another lady is sitting across from her with a stack of papers in front of her.

Then it strikes me. The lady working on the laptop is Mrs. Blake, the queen and I've seen her before on TV! I want to slam my head in a wall right now because of my stupidness.

She looks up as we walk towards her.

"Helen!" He acknowledges us with a smile on her face.

She's got Mason's looks. We stop some distance away from the desk, Helen a few steps ahead of me.

"Maam. This is Cassandra. The new girl we hired for the position of housemaid." She tells her.

"So, you're Cassandra?" She asks me and I nod my head in reply, not sure of what to say.

"I've heard a lot about you over the last couple of days." She tells me catching me off guard.

This makes me blurt out "What? How?" Helen shoots me a look.

"Mitchell why don't you take Helen along with you and sort out the problem." She says. Helen and I exchange a look.

To me she says "Why don't we talk about all the trouble you've already caused?"

A lump comes up in my throat and I can't swallow it.

It's been a long time since I update. Sorry about that.

The story's been pretty boring uptil now. But from now on each chapter will matter to you.

So, please read, vote and plzzzzz COMMENT!

~

P.S. Thanks for all the reads. If you like this story then please spread the word around :)