money (28)

Ella puts an arm around me and tries to me console me but no matter how hard I try, I can't contain my tears. They keep streaming out.

Mom was the last person left who I could actually call family. Now, she was slipping away too. Any moment the doctors would give up and I'll have to live on my own.

A man's voice makes me pull away from my sister and wipe my eyes. It's a doctor in a white coat.

He's saying something but my mind seems to have stopped processing things. Ella nods once in a while and then after some time he walks away.

"Do you think you can talk rationally now?" She looks me in the eye. And I nod depsite all the tears.

She takes a deep breath and then says. "Alright. The doctor just came and he said that they're ready to giver her a one month trial. If she wakes up then they'll continue her treatment but if not then after one month we'll have to move her."

One month. A normal person would've been worried that it isn't long enough but I'm not worried about that.

I don't have enough money to keep mom here for even one week let alone one month!

I realize that Ella's calling my name. "Cassy!" I look up at her and she motions to something behind me.

I turn around to see that it's the doctor who just talked to her.

"Have you decided?" He asks me.

No. I haven't decided. The only reason is because I don't have money. But obviously I can't say this to him.

Instead I look at Ella as if expecting an answer from her but instead she does what I don't want her to.

She says. "We'll take the one month trial."

I put my head in my hands and stare down at the floor. Where am I going to get the money from? Where? How?

Ella brings me back to the present. "Hey! Everything is going to alright. In no time mom is going to be up and about again. Okay?"

I nod my head and sniff. She adds. "I'll help pay."

I force myself to speak. "Mom wouldn't want you do that. She doesn't want someone else's money."

She sits up and says. "But it isn't someone's money. It's my money."

"It's not yours. It's your husband's. It's Henry's." I argue with her.

"Fine. But are you sure that you can manage it on your own." She asks me.

I know that she's my sister and that I shoudn't keep things from her but I just can't bring her into this. I just can't. Atleast for mom's sake.

"Yeah." I reply and nod my head.

"Mrs. Henry?" The doctor calls from down the hallway.

She looks up at him and he says. "You need to sign some paperwork."

She nods and gives my hand a squeeze before getting up. I can't believe how bravely she's acting. Marriage surely teaches one how to become strong and steadfast.

But right now there's only one thing in my mind.

MONEY! MONEY! MONEY!