back to work (13)

I wake up the next morning to find my headache gone. I took the medicine last night before going to sleep. It had helped me have a pretty dreamless night, which was good because I had been expecting nightmares because of the fight. I get out of bed and into the shower. The water helps me wake up. I put on my black uniform and push a hairband through my hair. I find mom in the kitchen making breakfast.

"Good morning. Where's Ella?" I ask looking around.

"She left a few minutes ago." She tells me breaking an egg.

"She left at 6.30 in the morning?!" I ask surprised. I get a nod in reply.

"But what was the rush? Couldn't she atleast wait for me to wake up?" I ask.

"She left because of what happened between you two. You know she has always been touchy about that topic. You knew that, then why didn't you stop when you saw that you'd crossed limits?" She asks furious.

"Because...wait! How do you know what we fought over?" I ask confused.

"Well, the house isn't all that big and Ella was never the one to keep secret's from me." She tells me as she dumps a plate with eggs and toast before me.

I start eating in silence and mom goes to her bedroom. Why do I keep making people mad at me? First Ashley, then Ella and now mom. Mom comes back in all dressed up to go out.

"Where are you going?" I ask her.

"Today's Friday! I have to do the Hemsworth's laundry." She reminds me.

"Mom, you don't have to." I remind her.

"Cassandra. I've heard of children living on their parent's couch but of parents living on their children's couch! Because of this you and I will have to put up with it." She tells me rather sternly.

"Till when?" I ask her.

"Till I find myseld some decent job." She replies pulling on her coat.

"I'm taking my key. Lock up before leaving will you?" She asks.

"Sure." She grabs her purse from the counter and goes out closing the door behind her.

Mom changed a lot after dad's death. I always knew that she loved him more that she ever showed. When the tragedy happened all life was sucked out of her. For a couple of she couldn't even distinguish between dreams and reality. The only job I remeber her having was at the post office. She was at a good rank but she was dismissed because of something she didn't even do.

I finsh eating and put the dishes away. I pull on my coat and leave after locking the door behind me. I take the bus and sit in my usual seat. It's exactly 8.00 when I enter the kitchen. Helen's nowhere to be seen. I pull off my coat and hang it where everyone else hang their's. I make my way to the library and try to open the door.

But it's locked. I groan in frustration and retrace my footsteps, hoping to bump into Helen on the way. Instead when I turn a corner I walk straight into William. I stop myself before I bump into him again.

"Woah! I'm sorry." I say.

"It's okay. How're you? I mean the headache and the fever." He asks me putting his hands into his pockets. He just looks so handsome right now. I wish I could take his face in my hands and...

My thoughts are interrupted when he asks "Cassandra?"

"I'm alright now. Oh! And thanks for the medicine!" I say smiling.

"You're welcome. Glad I could be of help." He says walking off.

"Uh William?" I call after him.

"Mmmm?" He asks turning around.

"Why would Ashley let me keep my job? I mean she has been down my throat since my first day." I say.

"Umm...Ashley and I broke up." He says simply looking at the floor. This takes me by surprise.

"What? But why?" I ask him, confused.

"She had made it pretty clear that I had to fire you no matter what. And I know that you have a mother to feed and yourself too. So, I couldn't do it and she told me that we were over." He explains.

This disappoints me because I was hoping that he broke up with her because he had some feelings for me. For him I am just a poor, lost, homeless girl who would do anything to get her hands on some money.

"Thank You." Is all I manage to say with a straight face before taking off in the other direction. I push open the first door that I find and go in, slamming the door behind me. Sobs rack me body and I hunch over gasping for air.

What I did not realize was that there is someone else in the room too. This means that I was not alone.

Read, Vote and Comment!

I would really appreciate it if you guys would let me know what you think of my story :)

Thank You so much for the 458 reads!

~