night visit (54)

I lay awake in bed, thinking about what awaits me tomorrow. I roll over onto my side and look at my out stretched hand with the ring gleaming on it.

I reach out and bring my phone's screen to life. The time display says 4:00 a.m. I slip out of bed and pull on a pair of jeans beneath the shirt I'm wearing.

I walk to mom's room and peek in. She's curled up like a little baby. I quietly close the door and walk to the front door, pulling on a jacket I leave the house.

I realize that I don't have a car to drive. So, pulling my jacket tighter around me, I start walking towards my destination. I've gone some distance when I feel head lights on the back of my head. I turn around to find myself blinded by the light. I hold up a hand to shield my eyes. My ears catch a door opening.

"Cassandra?" A voice asks.

"William?" I ask to make sure.

The lights go out and I remain blinded for a few seconds. When I finally get used to the dark again, my eyes make out a figure standing next to a car.

"What are you doing here at this time?" He asks.

"May I ask you the same question?" I ask in reply.

"I asked you first, so I get an answer first too." He says.

I know that lying is going to be no use, so I confess. "I was going to the graveyard."

"Me too."

"What?!"

"I'm assuming we have the same reason. I wanted to visit mother's grave before tomorrow."

"I wanted to talk to dad." I tell him.

He walks over to me and takes hold of my hand, saying. "Come on. I'll drive you."

"Okay." I walk over to the car and slide into the passenger seat. William gets in next to me and starts driving.

"Any particular reason?" I ask him.

He sighs. "I visited mom's grave every time I needed courage. Before my coronation, before the opening of the company, starting to date Ashley, when I met you."

This makes me look away from the window and towards him. A smile plays across his lips.

"Every time I go there seeking something it seems like the right thing to do automatically comes to mind. It's as if a sort of connection is formed between us and she tells me what to do."

"You're really brave that way." I tell him.

"What do you mean?"

"To be honest this is the first time I'll visit his grave since the funeral. I always dreaded seeing it because..." I trail off because my throat seems to be blocked and tears fill my eyes.

He stops the car in the parking lot and turns to me. Upon seeing the tears he reaches out and them away before pulling me to him.

I unbuckle my seatbelt and scramble over the center, so that I'm sitting on his lap while he holds me. I sob into his shirt. Once I'm done he kisses my head. I pull away slightly so that I can look at him.

"How did you bring yourself to do it the first time?"

He leans back in his seat. "I just told myself that it's now or never because the longer you keep putting it off, the harder it gets. I forced myself to do it once and the next time I didn't even have to think twice."

"Alright then." I try my best to sound brave.

I open the door and start to get out when he holds me back. "You know you look really cute when you try to make a bigger impression than you can."