another surprise visit (38)

The next morning I wake up with a strange feeling inside my stomach. I know the answer to why it's there.

I look over at mom who's peacefully asleep. The worries of the world unknown to her. I get up from the couch and go to her side. I take her hand and in mine and try rubbing color back into it.

It seems like it was years ago when I last saw her move or heard her voice.

Just the thought makes me feel queasy and I tell myself that everything's going to go back to as it was. But I know that it's a lie.

"Can I share a secret with you? I've always been in love with the prince. And yesterday he confessed his feeling for me. I want us to be together but I'm not sure since look where it got dad. Can you tell me whether I should go for it or not?"

I wait for her to reply but just as I feared, no reply comes.

I sigh and go into the washroom to get changed. Today's a Saturday which means no work. Plus, Ella gets to stay at home.

I brush my teeth, wash my face and change into jeans and a t-shirt. After pulling my hair up into a ponytail, I go back to the room.

I'm scrolling through my messages when I look up and give a small scream.

"Wh...What are you doing here?" I stutter, trying to catch my breath.

My heart's racing for two reasons. One, because I just got a fright and two, because William is standing near the door.

"I came to check on your mom." He replies.

Inwardly, I smile to myself and on the outside I remain composed and say. "Thank You."

He holds out a bouquet of flowers which I had not noticed since I was preoccupied by the fact that William was actually here.

I take them from him. They're red roses wrapped in silk. After placing them on the table beside the bed. I turn back to him.

He has a smile on his face which makes my heart melt.

"I came here to check on your mom and to see you." He says.

I don't know what to say so I keep quiet and stare at the floor.

"You're worried about her aren't you?" He asks. This makes me look up.

Something about him makes me spill the truth.

I perch on the bed's edge and he leans against the wall. The mood in the room is too casual to indicate the presence of a royal.

"It's been two weeks now. And her condition is the same as it was before. Nothing has changed. No improvement."

Tears fill up my eyes and a lump rises in my throat. Before I know what's happening,

William walks over and puts his arms around me. He draws me to him and I sob into his shirt.

When I pull away I see that it's got stains in his shirt.

"Sorry." I mumble.

"Don't worry. As long as you're okay, so am I." He tells me.

He leaves soon after and I sit on a chair going over all that happened.

It was so unexpected.

I debate on calling Ella but decide against it and decide to keep this one meeting all to myself.

I can't believe people are actually reading this story :)

~