Feelings Suck [Engineer x Sad! Reader, Fluff]

You've been friends with Dell for as long as you can remember. Having developed a crush, you felt like putty each time he flashed you a smile.. but things began changing when it was clear that he had eyes for another girl on the team.

Requested by Maybe_A_Phantom !

1693 words.

~x~

She was... beautiful. Ever since Ms. Pauling had introduced the newest female addition to the team, most of the mercs' hearts began beating out of their chests.. including a certain Texan that you had been crushing on for a long while now. She had silky smooth hair with perfectly contrasting eyes, a slim waist and a pretty smile... she could have anyone in her arms in under an hour. Almost... perfect.

A week had passed and things were already beginning to change. Everyone was so much nicer to her than they were with you when you first came around. Some of the others would want to serve her more than they did with you. The two of you had exchanged glances and introduced yourselves to each other, and so far you were on good terms.. but it still felt odd. Having to watch the Texan you know and love devote himself to serving this other girl.. it made you feel a pang of jealousy run through you.

"Hey, darlin'!" Dell lightly jogged over time the girl with his sweet smile and his helmet off.

"Oh, hey Dell! How are you?" She replied, looking at the man with her glimmering eyes.

You watched as his cheeks began burning a bright pink. "A-Ah, well.. I'm doin' alright! I wanted to check on ya, a-and yer trainin'. How's that been going?"

"Training's been going well! Soldier's still a little rough on me, but I can take it!" She smiles. You frowned slightly as you discreetly watched the two, leaning back further into your seat with your arms crossed nonchalantly.

"Aww don't worry, he'll soften up to ya soon. Hopefully." He chuckles, lightly rubbing the back of his neck. She giggles along with him, making the Texan's cheeks go a brighter pink.

You decided not to listen any longer, looking at the ground before standing and speed walking into the kitchen where you'd grab yourself a (drink of choice) to distract yourself. Beginning to chug down the drink, you pulled off and panted slowly. Thoughts began cramming in your brain about the whole situation again..

What if she takes him, making you have to watch Dell fall harder?

What if he lets go of you because he thinks you'll just get in the way of his relationship?

What if they leave the team because they found better jobs and live a full life without you, (Y/N)?

You won't be able to stop it if they get together, (Y/N).

They'll let you go like leaves falling from a tree in Autumn... (Y/N).

(Y/N)..

(Y/N)...?

"(Y/N)!"

A familiar voice shakes you out of your thoughts.

"Hey.. you alright? Ah was just gonna fetch (new girl's name) a snack and found you in yer own little head space. Somethin' wrong?" Dell. That little furrow in his eyebrows as he spoke to you.. damnit!

"N-No, I'm fine. I was just.. thinking about home." You lied, shaking your head and faking a little smile.

"Ah.. Well, if ya ever need someone to talk to, you'll always have me." Dell smiles in your direction, making your heart unwillingly skip a beat.