Chapter 20 The Weight of One Life

Start from the beginning

The vampires looked at each other confused, “What does Leah mean by that?” Emmett asked.

“Nothing, she's a dork.”

“I HEARD THAT, DORY!”

“YOU WERE MEANT TO, BEETHOVEN!”

“What's with the weird nicknames?” Alice asked.

“It's our thing.”

Back in La Push, Jake met up with Jared and told him everything that Bella had told him. Jared listened patiently to everything that Jacob told him, “Do you think the pack can help protect Bella and Charlie?”

Jared thought for a moment, “The pack, no. But I will spare two members, and that's it.”

Jacob started shaking in anger, “Only two! We're supposed to protect humans!”

“Jake, stop,” Jared said calmly.

Jake immediately cowed in front of Jared.

“Look I get you want to protect Bella and Charlie, I do too. But we can't leave the reservation unprotected either. There are more lives at stake than just those two. There are innocent women and children here that know nothing about vampires. Would you leave them to be slaughtered?”

Jake looked down, “No.”

“Okay, then, I can only spare two.”

“I'll go!”

“No”

“But-”

“I said no. You have an attitude when it comes to Edward and Emmett. Though I don't care about Edward, I do care about Emmett. And you have an obsession with Bella, that makes you a liability. If you want us to help, it will be my way, or not at all.”

“Fine!”

“What?”

“Whatever you say, Jared.”

“I'm sending Quil and Embry.”

Jake brightens at hearing that it was his best friends going to guard Bella, “Do you want me to call Bella and tell her?”

“No, I'll do it. Give me Bella's number.”

Jake wrote down Bella's number and gave it to Jared. Jared pulls out his cellphone and dials Bella's number, “Hello?”

“Bella?”

“Yes, who's this?”

“This is Jared.”

“Oh, hi Jared, what's up?”

“Jake told me what's going on and that you and the Cullens need help guarding you and Charlie.”

“Yeah we do, will the pack be able to help?”

“No, but I will send Quil and Embry.”

“Why not, Jake?”

“I have my reasons, Bella. It's either Quil and Embry or no one.”

Bella looked at Carlisle, who was listening. He nodded, “Okay, Jared, we accept.”

“Good. Now, Quil and Embry need to go to your house to get the scent of the vampire, so they know who to look out for.”

“Okay, Edward and I will meet them at my house tomorrow.”

“That's fine, Bella. I'll talk to you later.” With that, Jared hung up.

“So, the pack isn't going to help, huh?” Edward asked.