Chapter 21 (A kiss and a promise)

"Hey, um: I texted Daria back and I told her I am just gonna stay here"

"It's not nice to lead people on"

I was tired. Why did Connor have to come into my room just to humiliate me and make me feel worse about himself? Why didn't he just stay away like I had clearly wanted him to?

"Okay? Well I am not leading her on"

I scoffed. Yeah, right. And the sky is green.

"Come on", 

Connor nudged my foot, trying to make me talking back into a game. Well, this was not a game. Not anymore.

"Stop it", 

I said loudly. Connor kept nudging me, so I kicked him. I couldn't believe that I had done such a thing, I was usually anti-violence, it had come out of nowhere. But it felt...right.

When Connor sank to the floor though, clearly in agony, I could not pretend that I wasn't worried.

"Are you okay? I did not mean to kick you that hard",

I really had not kicked him that hard. What was wrong with Connor? Hopefully he had not broken a rib.

"Why did you kick me at all?", Connor asked exasperatedly, holding his stomach.

Because I love you, idiot.

"You kissed me. Remember? In the tent? And, then, at the movie theater you held my hand! And now all day you have been-

I just- I don't get this. I don't get you"

And then Connor stared at me with those puppy brown eyes and I leaned in. My heart stopped.

We kissed and it felt right. Just like last time.  Time stopped and I could do nothing but stare at Connor when he opened his eyes. I took a seat on the floor next to my bed and stared into the abyss. Connor joined me.

For a simple moment, we rested in tranquility. We held hands. We smiled. I knew that a storm was coming but in that moment, wrapped safely inside of that bubble I could not feel the storm's effects yet, so I could not quite believe that it was real. Boy, was I wrong.

A/N: Hey, sorry, I know that you already know this scene from the show but it's so important to the storyline that I had to include it in the way that I had originally intended it to. There will be another chapter out by Tuesday <3 Take care of yourselves, lovelies