Helping Hands

A global health crisis, who knew something this exponential would appear and halt the lives of millions? Not Peter Parker, that's for sure. But then again, MJ always did declare that the world would end due to disease or capitalism...

When the borders closed he was overseas with the Avengers on a mission to hunt down some of Mysterio's technology that was stored in warehouses globally, and since they were hunting a bunch of technology mad scientists and inventions, they were actually off the grid. So imagine their surprise when they come back online to see the world had gone to hell!

Peter was probably doing the worst out of the rest of the Avengers. His Aunt May was a nurse, so that meant she would be on the front lines with a high chance of getting sick! He couldn't lose her! May was the only family he had left after Uncle Ben- no, Peter shook the thought out of his head. There was no time for self-pity or spiralling into a state of out of control. Everything was fine, Aunt May was strong and knew how to take care of herself, right now he had other things to worry about.

Nick Fury had called all of them into a meeting room, everyone sitting three chairs away from one another with masks and gloves adorned as they stared at the eyepatch-wearing leader. "SHIELD usually stays under the radar, especially since corrupt government officials, like the current orange-hued president, want us to shut down so we can't investigate further into power imbalances. But this is such a huge crisis, I'm putting you guys into effect. Everyone with a degree in medicine-" he eyed Dr Banner, Dr Strange, and Tony Stark- "will be helping out testing centres, and the rest will be using our resources along with Stark Industries to bring emergency materials to hospitals worldwide." Mr Fury then paused and looked at all of them, "Stay safe, everyone."

With that, everyone burst into action. They quickly split into groups deciding who would travel to which epicentre of disease considering they all couldn't go due to having to quarantine. Peter quietly raised his hand before blushing scarlet remembering he wasn't in class, he promptly put his hand down at the amused looks of the other Avengers. "Can I go to New York? My Aunt is a nurse there, and I think it would be best for me to hand out materials there and to be close to family..." He trailed off in thought about his friends who he hadn't heard from since quarantine had been called. The others smiled at him before deciding Peter, Wanda, and Pietro would go to New York while the rest went elsewhere internationally.

Before Peter could comprehend, he was sitting in one of Mr Stark's jets packed full of masks, gloves, sanitizers, and ventilators, all paid for and developed by Stark Industries who had recently expanded to the medical field a month or two prior. Wanda put a comforting hand on Peter's arm before turning to her brother, the two bantering in their native language while Peter's mind wandered in thought.

It wasn't too long before he found himself outside the hospital May worked at in his SpiderMan suit, masks, and gloves (which weren't necessary considering the suit was basically a hazmat suit thanks to Mr Stark's new additions once he heard about the crisis), but it was better to show off what the civilians should be doing. After a couple of years of web-slinging, he found he often set trends among the youth in where he bought things (such as doughnuts that one time in costume for the police he worked with on a murder investigation,) or wore things (like wearing the new Stark line of winter gear when it got cold this other time). So he decided that if people caught him wearing gloves and masks, hopefully, the youth would follow in his footsteps.

Boxes towered over his head as he carried dozens of boxes of supplies, his super strength and spidey senses allowing him to carry them without incident into the hospital. He was warmly welcomed, from a distance of course, by everyone, and the nurses and doctors sighed in relief at the materials being donated.

A swell of happiness and helpfulness bloomed in his chest, he loved being a hero, helping others never got old. Just then his Aunt May turned the corner, mask secured, and he let out a sigh of relief. Her eyes lit up at the sight of her nephew, safe and seemingly healthy before subtly nodding in the direction of the apartment, she would hug him later her message seemed to convey.

Peter grinned under the mask as he continued to distribute the materials knowing Wanda and Pietro were doing the same at various other hospitals around the area.

He gave a sad sigh as he looked at the overflowing health system, but a spark of hope burned. Humanity, internationally, was all banned together to help each other, and the doctors and nurses, and other frontline workers were all doing their best to keep society running. Humanity always found a way to thrive he found, even after disasters like supervillain attacks, Thanos causing The Blip, and now this pandemic, Peter knew humanity would heal soon enough and everything would go back to normal.

Until then, he would do what he could, promoting social distancing, wearing masks, and saving the day whenever people decided to harm others. But before he could do that, he had to go quarantine himself for two weeks and catch up with his loved ones virtually and no doubt attend his classes via Zoom.

Peter knew that society would get through this, and hopefully, international relations would be strengthened. Because he knew, no matter what, as long as people were fighting on the side of Life, side of medicine, the side of security and health, things would get better. They always do.

-=-

*Me, wearing a mask with Lysol wipes in hand, bursts down my 9-month hiatus with a story about quarantine and staying safe* What's up fuckers hope you've all been staying inside

Wow it's been so long, grade 11 has been hectic! I've been on my wits end, but quick update on my life I guess: gotten drunk, made new friends, kissed someone, had a short-lived relationship, gotten a job, quit job, and now we're here! 

Hopefully you're all doing well, I wish the best for you and your loved ones! I will be maybe getting back on a regular weekly updating schedule since online classes means lighter course load, so keep your prompts coming and I am so sorry for going MIA for so long!

Love you,
-SecretsInMyHead