Old Friends

It had been two weeks, and Peter had found himself in some distant undeveloped nation, hiking through the sand dunes with sweat dripping down his brow.

This was not what he'd call a good time. But he was doing this not to please SHIELD, but to see his friend, Bucky. Peter had sold him out along with the rest of Hydra when he had the chance- a chance at freedom. He wanted to feel guilty about it. But he didn't.

That was one thing that Hydra taught him that was truly helpful- on a mission self-preservation reigned supreme. Your life before others. Save your own hide before ever thinking of someone else.

Ned had been doing what Peter asked, handing over packets of worksheets to Peter's doorman, which somehow got to him where he was (wherever he was anyways- he had lost track of his location once he wandered through a lost city a couple of days back). He was quite unsure of where exactly he was- but he had a feeling he was going the right direction.

Something inside of him, something connected to the other agents bound to Hydra not by choice, but by necessity. It helped him seek the whereabouts of Bucky. Plus the agent that came to his school was right, only a rat can sniff another one out. Peter knew how Bucky thought, knew his training and what his next move would be, knew where he'd stash cash, when he'd swap disguises, knew when he would leave town. Peter knew because he would do the exact same things.

Back when he was younger, and Bucky was however old (Peter never quite understood Bucky's age due to the whole freezing him thing), they would train together. Bucky seemed to have a soft spot for him, so in the dead of night when the other agents and the scientists were either sleeping or too busy to notice, Bucky would sneak them away and would train Peter. Teach him how to hang onto his own morals. Teach him how to hide his own thoughts. Teach him how to survive- and if he were to ever get a chance to escape, how to avoid Hydra and stay off the grid.

To Peter's knowledge, it seemed what Bucky told Peter so long ago, of how to stay out of Hydra's grasp, was now being used by the older agent. Bucky was hiding from everything and everyone that would wish to control him.

And now Peter, who considered Bucky a friend, had to hunt him down to strip away the new found freedom Bucky has secured for himself.

If Peter felt guilty about anything, it would be that.

A shimmering barrier came into view, warping the land around it, making it seem like a mirage, giving the view of nothing but flat grassland. But Peter knew better. He had found one of Wakanda's secret entrances.

Warm leather melded in his hand as Peter grasped onto his daggers. He could feel it, the air felt more alive. He had not only found the elusive nation, but he had also found his target, Bucky.

A grim smile made its way onto Peter's face. Maybe when he brought Bucky into SHIELD he'd be allowed to stay in the shadows, to finally give up the knives in his hands. To have a chance at a better life.

It wasn't the most realistic idea- something inside of Peter knew that if he succeeded this mission, there was no way that SHIELD would let him go, would let their new asset leave the field.

Peter's toes clenched in his sandals as he approached the barrier. The skin on his arms perked up, his sixth sense --which had been instilled in him at Hydra at a young age-- warning him of the unknown dangers that would arise in Wakanda.

By the time he was no more than a foot away from the barrier, a voice rang out, an accent lilting their voice, "What are you doing here, stranger?"

Peter's head turned to see a man in a black and purple panther suit. The eyes narrowed as he warily eyed Peter. As Peter let go of his knives' handles and made sure they were hidden in his cloak, he raised his hands in the universal symbol of 'don't kill me I mean no harm'. Which was ironic because Peter did, in fact, mean harm.

Peter's raspy voice from the hot desert air replied, "I'm here in search of a man you are harbouring, Your Majesty." Honesty was always best. Especially when dealing with an enhanced individual like the Black Panther.

Yes, Peter knew who he was. Hydra had filed on every enhanced individual in the world, and among the top twenty biggest threats was King T'Challa, the Black Panther.

T'Challa took a step forward and suddenly leapt forward and bound Peter's hands behind his back. Now, Peter could've easily dodged the attack, or even broken the bonds that bound him- but that wouldn't make his current situation any better. He needed to get into the city to find Bucky. And what better way to gain entrance to a land so foreign it could be considered mythical, then by being their prisoner and being brought to their capital for questioning?

Without another word, T'Challa dragged Peter through the shimmering barrier, and Peter's eyes widened at the huge skyscrapers that littered the sky, and the colourful bustling people running around. The city wasn't just thriving- it was alive. Alive with energy, technology, with its people. Wakanda was more than just a place, Peter could tell by the feeling in the air.

A group of warrior women seized Peter and searched him, effectively confiscating his blades and his other items. Quietly thankful at the knives being carried away, Peter felt as if a weight was lifted off his chest. If he stayed here forever would SHIELD find him? Would Wakanda give him the freedom he so desired, just as they had given Bucky? Or would they turn out to be like the rest and use him?

Peter was starting to think the world was giving him trust issues.

The warriors lead him through the city, spears pointed at him with every step as they walked closer and closer towards the centre of the bustling metropolis.

Walking through the crowd of lively and colourful people seemed so alien to Peter. He watched as kids ran carefree through the streets, their clothes of vibrant hues fluttering behind them as they scampered through the streets.

Before Peter could take another glance to soak in the city, he was roughly directed into the door of a huge glass building, one that rivalled the size of Tony Stark's tower in New York.

Without much more care of where they were taking him, (he knew he should be paying attention so it'd be easier to escape, but he'd cross that bridge when he got there,) Peter started to think of what he'd actually tell Bucky if he ever did find him.

Would Peter have the heart to drag Bucky away from this sanctuary? To sell his old teacher out to SHIELD? And did Peter even have it in him to stay here? To leave behind everything- because it could be so easy, to run away from it all...

But then Peter remembered Ned. Ned, his friend. Who even after he found out about a horrifying sliver of Peter's past, didn't abandon him. Who still sent him his homework with tiny notes attached telling him the commotion he had missed at school. How even though MJ didn't say it outright, Ned could tell she missed their third companion.

Before Peter could think through everything more thoroughly, he was placed in a cold metal chair in front of a floating slab that acted as a table and oh-- it seemed Peter could stop his search. And on the other side of the table was who he had come here for.

"Peter, long time no see, old friend."

-=-

I got so many requests for a part two so here you all go! Ask and you shall receive! I hope you enjoyed it! 

Want a part three? Or are we done with this little universe? Up to you!

-SecretsInMyHead