Twenty-one: What Changed?

Two days had gone by, and I still hadn't heard back from Caroline. Since getting kicked out of Monaco, most of my time was spent on the yacht. Not because I couldn't leave, but because I didn't want to.

Port de Cap d'Ail was right next door to Monaco, but somehow that just made the distance feel greater. But being further away wouldn't have made things better.

Sofia came by yesterday to check in on us, but she hadn't seen Caroline since the day we got back. I'd tried calling, texting, DMs, but all of them went unanswered. I knew she wasn't ignoring me. This is because of her dad, and because of me.

When the credits for The Matrix Revolutions started rolling, I grabbed the remote from my bedside table and turned the TV off. I thought about the three movies I'd just marathoned, and found myself agreeing with Caroline. The first one was great, the other two not so much. But I still found myself wishing we could have watched them together.

Just then, there was a knock on my door.

"It's open!"

"Hey, bro," Liam said, poking his head inside.

"What's up?"

"Sofia and me are going to grab supper later, and we were wondering if you wanted to come with us."

"Thanks, but I'll have to turn you guys down."

"You're not just gonna camp out in here and keep watching The Matrix are you?"

"No." But maybe.

"I know you're lying, bro. You always rub the back of your head after you tell a lie."

I quickly put my hand down.

"Bro, I know this sucks. But you really should get off the boat for at least a minute or an hour or a couple hours..."

I suddenly got hit with a craving for a home-cooked meal. And then I remembered telling Caroline about wanting to be a chef that day in Italy. She was the first person to hear me say that out loud. If I never see her again, the least I can do is talk to my parents about what I really want to do with my life. Might as well start with Dad.

"So is that a yes to you coming with us later?" Liam waved at me.

"No, but I am gonna go grab some stuff for later."

Liam wrinkled his brow. "What kinda stuff?"

"Stuff for cooking."

"Need a buddy?"

"Is that an offer?"

"Is Gretzky the greatest guy to ever pick up a hockey stick?"

"Absolutely," I smiled.

"Alright, then let's get going."

"Gimme about ten minutes..."

And after I made my list and threw on some different clothes, Liam and I set off for dry land. I had to admit, it was nice to get out, walk around and feel the sun on my face. And with Liam's help, the grocery shopping got done quickly.

"So what's on the menu, Chef Javi?" Liam asked as I unpacked the bags on the counter.

"To start, I'm going to attempt Gougères-never made those before, so that could get interesting. Then I'll make some Bœuf bourguignon and for dessert, Tarte Tatin."

"There's gonna be some of that left when I get back, right?"

I held up my hands. "Dude, aren't you going out for supper later?"