Fifteen: Parks and Roses

The old man stood up, adjusted his blue shirt, and started coming towards us, walking with a slight limp.

Is he planning on yelling at us or something?

I didn't know what to expect from an old guy who knew who Salt-N-Pepa was. After reaching our table, he made a fist, put it up to his mouth, and cleared his throat.

"Hello," he said, "I'm Joseph Dawson, but my friends call me Joey; you may call me Joey if you like."

We were stunned, and an awkward silence followed until Liam spoke up.

"Are you British?" Liam asked.

"My accent gave me away, did it?"

We all slowly nodded.

Joseph rubbed his head. "I'm terribly sorry, you must think I'm some oddball old geezer for coming over here like I have. So please forgive my intrusion. I simply wanted to, (if I may), join in your game. It sounded like fun. But if you would prefer I return to my seat, I will do so tout suite."

We looked at each other, then back at Joseph. He seemed harmless, so we told him he could stay.

"Now, I will ask one favour," Joseph said, "as you might have guessed, I'm a couple older than you young chaps," he winked, "as such if one of you would be so kind as to let me sit-"

"Sure thing," Liam got up.

"Thank you," Joseph replied as he sat down beside me.

After we introduced ourselves, Joey reached for Cards Against Humanity and examined the box. "I don't think I've played this game before. How's it go?"

I smiled. He's in for a surprise.

"Well, first," Liam began, "everyone needs to draw ten white cards. Then we need to choose a Card Czar."

I tried to keep myself from smiling, and so did the girls; Liam was grinning.

"How do we determine who becomes the Card Czar?" Joey asked.

Liam smiled and took a breath. "The person who pooped most recently is the Card Czar."

Joey wrinkled his brow. "Is that so?"

Liam grinned. "I shit you not. That's what the rules say."

I chuckled; the girls were trying not to laugh.

Joey looked at us and smiled. "Then that's likely me."

"Alight," Liam smirked, "All hail Card Czar, Joey."

"Hail!" We said and started playing.

At the end of each round, we had a song break (in keeping with Liam's rule). And by the end, Caroline was in the lead. As usual, the game was filled with lots of laughs and questionable judging, not that I was salty or anything.

After Push It finished playing, Joey said, "I haven't heard that song in a while; it was a favourite of my daughter. And I can't remember the last time I had such a good laugh. I'll have to purchase this for my grandchildren-the older ones, that is," he smiled. "Thank you for letting me join you."

"No problem," I said.

"So why are you travelling all by yourself?" Sofia asked.

Sofia's curiosity is at it again.

Joey sighed. "My wife and I used to take the train from London to Rome and back every summer. This is my first time making the journey alone."

The sadness in his face when he said "alone" made it clear what he meant. So we all offered our condolences.