1 rewrite

I New Job

The First day I shuddered at the thought. I was not a fan of the first day of anything to be honest. However, I understood the need. If you take away 1 then 2 will just take its place and become the first which is second, but now is first. Putting me back where I was initially with a different number to start it off. Most people enjoy the first day of things.

First days offer new beginnings, but I was fine with the life I was currently living. This is the only new beginning I was content with. I did not like being the center of attention, being asked questions, being analyzed. Things like that made me anxious and defensive. I try avoiding anything that will bring undue attention to myself. So, why was I currently trying to get a corporate job. Some people aspired to climb the corporate tower and be well known, rolling in success and money. I did not want anything to do with being well known. I knew how to get money under the table, but I was trying to rid my life of anything illegal. I wanted to be a ghost. I was just trying to make it to my next meal and paycheck. Whoever decided food, water, and housing should cost ought to be brought back and killed in the most slow and gruesome way humanly possible in my humble opinion. Those are basic necessities and it was absurd to capitalize on those things in my opinion.I finally rolled over hitting my alarms off button from where it was station on my night stand. I was happy I received the job to begin with. Don't get me wrong there... The pay was great for what I needed, starting at 17 dollars an hour.

I needed the money more than a crack head needed crack. I sat on the edge of my bed with my elbows on my knees and my head in my hands. My stomach growled as I stood making my way to the bathroom. I used the restroom, washed my hands, and brushed my teeth. I wiped my mouth and made my way to my closet to get dressed for my first day. I cringed at the thought. I was going to be the new girl, attention was bound to be on me whether it was intentional or not, good or bad, passive or direct. I would be a topic being the new woman. I grabbed a pencil skirt I had only worn once, a tight long sleeve shirt, and a pair of flat ballet slippers. I was thick boned, but malnourished. I was once extremely thick, but lack of food will do that to you. I went back to the bathroom to tackle my extremely curly hair. I pulled off my bonnet and shook my hair to fluff it out. Reaching under my sink I rummaged for my gel and bristled brush. Once in hand I stood straight up and commenced to putting my hair in a high bun. I left two curly piece above my ear out, but the rest was put into a donut bun. I was not a fan of wearing my natural hair out, it was too much to manage and got extreme big and frizzy throughout the day. I looked in the mirror and made sure my appearance was good enough for work. I was greeted with dark brown eyes, and even darker skin and hair. I walked to the kitchen looking for anything I could eat and it was not a shocker or unusual for me to come up empty handed in this category. I would rather have lights, a roof over my head, and hot water to bathe. It sucks that I had to choose between these things, but I made it my goal to go to the local food pantry if they were still open and in stock when I got off work. I never made it in time for the soup kitchen, the line was always long and they never had enough to feed us all.

Grabbing my purse off the coat rack I purchased from salvation army when I first got to this city I threw it over my shoulder after pulling on a cardigan. I checked my purse for my bus pass and wallet before leaving the house and locking the door behind me.Walking out into the cool morning are I made my way to the bus stop across from my old apartment building. The bus arrived two minutes later. I was pretty decent at timing the buses for the most part. When I didn't time them properly my whole day was thrown off considering I lived on the outskirts of the city, deep in the slums. It took a total of three buses to get into the city. I wasn't upset about that though. Sure, it was tiring, but I was fine where I lived for now and with this new job I could afford to upgrade to taxi's and possibly a car with savings. I arrived in the city at 8:15. it took about 30 minutes per bus. I walked from the bus depot onto the busy streets looking up at the sky scrapers and high rise complexes. Even if I had money, I couldn't imagine living somewhere like this. I glanced at my watch and realized I had extra time. I walked in the direction of work in hopes of finding some food.I was satisfied to find a cafe directly across from the building I would be working in. It was cozy and stylish.