Chapter Twenty-Eight - Leaving

Amity's P.O.V

Listening to Luz quietly talk about her stress with being a senior next year was honestly adorable. I could practically see her, pacing back and forth in her room as her arms would fly in every direction. Her eyes would be wide and she'd be close to pulling her hair out. Thankfully calling me to rant helped her greatly, which I was extremely happy about since recently she's become insecure about herself.

A couple days have passed since my father kicked her out of my house after seeing us kiss. I made sure to call Luz everyday after school, sure we see each other a lot in school but I wanted to hear her voice more. She was my girlfriend after all. Just being able to call her girlfriend made me so happy, it's honestly changed so much for me. We're not fighting anymore, just talking, and being weirdos together.

"Hey cutie, my parents are fighting so I'm going to check on them. Is that okay, I don't want to leave you." Luz stopped her ranting and giggled at herself, probably embarrassed that she talked for so long.

"Yeah, I'll be fine. Just be careful, okay, I don't want you getting hurt." I nodded, forgetting that she couldn't see me. I stood up and started walking to my door, ready to face my parents.

"I will be, promise. I love you." Saying that so confidently was very new to me. With my previous girlfriend, Ember, I wasn't confident at all when saying it. I meant it one-hundred percent when saying it to Luz though.

"I love you too." With that she hung up, leaving me in almost complete silence, until another scream emerged from downstairs. There hasn't been any thuds or crashes, so this wasn't as bad as their others.

Walking out into the hall, I could hear their yelling more clearly. I couldn't tell what they were saying exactly but I kept walking in the direction of their yelling. They were going back and forth, arguing about something that made no sense to me. My name was thrown in there a couple times but I had no idea what they were arguing about. As soon as I got right outside of the kitchen door, I heard my mom say something, shocking me to my very core.

"Me and Amity are getting out of this house and that's final, whether you like it or not!" I didn't know what to feel, excited, scared, confused. My mom was finally standing up to him, making her own decision.

"That's nonsense. You two won't survive without me, might as well stay here." Before anyone could say anything else, I slammed the door open, grabbing both of their attention.

"What are you guys arguing about this time?" My mom's face softened once she saw me, she walked towards me with her hand out. Resting it on my shoulder, she looked me straight in my eyes.

"Honey, go pack your bags because we're moving to Alexa's house." My smile widened once she said that, out of all the people's house! Alexa has helped me greatly, from sending me chocolate to being my therapist.

"Okay, when are we leaving." Drake stood behind her, his hands in a fist, and an angry look in his eyes. He was going to try his best to stop this but we were leaving for good.

"Right now, so hurry up." I nodded my head, turning around and running to my bedroom. There wasn't much to pack so thankfully it wasn't going to take long.

As I figured, it took less than thirty minutes to pack everything I needed. Clothes, phone charger, laptop, some drawing utensils, and some more stuff. I honestly didn't have that much, the money I got from people is mostly spent on giving stuff to others, like Luz. I made sure to grab the hoodie that Luzzy gave me. I cherish that more than pretty much anything else. We didn't give each other much, other than birthday presents, but there were times when she'd randomly give me a gift. That was something I loved about her, and still love about her.

"Amity, you ready?" My mom shouted, causing me to jump off my bed. I couldn't wait to tell Luz about this great news! This way she could come over without anyone kicking her out.

"Coming, be there in a second." I couldn't believe this was happening, it felt unrealistic. My adrenaline was rushing, anxiety and excitement coursed over me. This was all happening so fast that I almost didn't believe it was really happening.

I sent Luz a quick text, telling her to call me about an hour from now so I could tell her the news. A part of me was scared that it wouldn't fall through, that dad would stop us, but I was confident in me and my mom. We could do this. I knew she was just as scared as me, her face was full of concern but she didn't back down.

"You guys aren't leaving, I won't let you." Drake's hand was gripping my mom's wrist, holding her tightly so that she wouldn't leave. Flashes of how Zander treated Luz went through my head and it was eerily similar to this. I'm just glad she got away from him before it turned into something like my parents.

"Let her go dad, we're leaving. We'll survive great without you." He glared at me, giving me the look he's always given. It'll be nice to finally not see that face anymore, to just get away from all that he's done.

"Fine, you two go out there and see where it gets you. Have fun taking care of this disappointment." I rolled my eyes at the nickname he's given me for years and years, it was ridiculous honestly.

"I'm not the disappointment here, you are, to both me and Lilly." I pointed between my and my mom. His glare only got worse, but there was no way I was going to back down. We're so close to leaving, might as well give a good farewell.

"Just get out of my house. You've ruined everything for me now, are you happy?" He wasn't sad, he was angry. He hasn't lost anything but us and that's all on him, not us.

"We've ruined everything for you? Have you even thought about how many times you've ruined mine? You've abused me, treated me like shit, and you have never even said my real name! You've ruined me, made my life miserable here. So don't stand there and say that we've ruined everything, you did it yourself." Tears streamed down my face, my heart beating abnormally fast. My breathing was fast as I stared at the man who claims to be my father.

"C'mon Amity, let's go. Let's finally get out of this house." Mom grabbed my hand, comfortingly, and pulled me to the front door. I gave one last glance at Drake, seeing that his angry stare hadn't moved a bit.

Once we were outside, she pulled me into a hug as I cried, harder than I have in a while. She wrapped her arms around me protectively, making sure I felt safe. I finally had a mom, I've had her for years but her being free felt different. Like she was actually my mom, not just Drake's wife, Lilly. She was finally going to be able to make her own decisions, do what she wants whenever she wants.

"You're safe now, Amity, I'm here to protect you and I promise to do that." She held my cheek, giving me a light kiss on my forehead. For the first time ever, I saw that motherly look in her eyes, the one that made me feel safe and secure. This was really happening.