Chapter Sixteen - Not Your Job

Amity's P.O.V

Something was terribly wrong with Luz and I knew it. That son of an idiot abused her and he's manipulating her! I wanted to rip him apart so badly and scream at him until he couldn't hear anymore. The amount of hatred I had for Zander was above anyone else. I've never been so mad at anyone in my life, and all because he hurt someone that I love.

I can't believe he's abusing Luz, the nicest person anyones ever met. How can someone even begin to hurt her, let alone abuse her? The thought tore away at my mind and broke my heart. To know that someone is hurting her, it just makes me feel awful. I could've done more to prevent this from happening, I could've warned her a lot sooner about him, or pulled her away from him. Now she's deep into his manipulating game and I can't get her out.

The ride home from school was quiet, well the bus was loud as usual but to me it was silent. I was so lost in my thoughts that everything around me seemed to be nonexistent. I needed to get home and cry in my bed, watch stupid shows that make me feel better, maybe even text Luz to ask if she's okay. She's trying to push me away still because she's scared Zander will hurt one of us but texting was a whole different thing, right?

I walked up the stairs of my house and slowly opened the door, hoping to sneak up to my room and stay in there until tomorrow morning. I don't want to deal with anyone's crap because I've had enough. It's one thing to mess with me, but when you mess with Luz, someone I deeply care about, that's a whole nother level.

"Hey Amity, are you trying to sneak in here?" My mom caught me slipping inside and I jumped from her voice. I blushed in embarrassment, how could I be so bad at sneaking into my own house?

"Listen I don't feel like dealing with anyone's crap, I've been emotionally hurt and I can't go through anything else." I confidently stood up to her, making it known that I didn't want to fight with her.

"Okay, I'll make sure to let your dad know. Go upstairs and lock your door so he can't get into your room and don't come out until he leaves." My eyes widened in shock at how she was helping me. She's usually yelling at me, pushing me around or telling me how disappointed she is with me.

"Really? Why are you helping me, I thought you hated me." Her face fell as I spoke, she seemed so sad, but why? Was there more to my mom than I thought?

"Look Amity, your father is a terrible man and I would do anything to get us out of here but I can't. All I can do is protect you the best I can. Now go upstairs." I was utterly shocked by her. Why is she telling all of this now, it must be some trick right?

"Well, thanks, I guess." I didn't know what to say to her, after everything she's done to me. Do I believe her or do I not? Does she care about me, or is she playing some sick game with me?

I shut my door as I entered my room. I pulled out my phone as I turned on quiet music, Billie Eilish always got me in a better mood. My feet trudged on the carpet as I took slow steps towards my bed and crashed on top of it. On days like today, I just wanted to stay in my bed and listen to music that somehow made me feel sad and good at the same time.

I don't understand what I felt for Luz, I've felt like I loved her for the longest time. After all of this has happened, I don't know if those feelings went away or if that feeling is stronger. There are times when I simply look at her and think she's the most adorable person ever, then there are times where I want to strangle her, but not kill her. I could never do that.

My mind went back to when I saw her at the therapist. I remember being shocked seeing her there, I didn't know she went there and why she was there. She seemed to be just as shocked as me. I just started going there because of my parents and to help me figure what I felt for Luz. The therapist, Ms. Alexa, knew me from when I was younger and she's giving me therapy for free. She knows how mad my parents would be if they find out I'm doing therapy.