Chapter Twenty-Three - Leave Us Alone

Amity's P.O.V

Things have definitely changed between Luz and I. It wasn't a bad change but it wasn't a great change, considering I've gotten much more flustered around her for simple things. Just her saying hello to me makes my heart melt and my face go a bit red. I don't think she notices these things because she doesn't say anything but then again, maybe she just doesn't wanna make things awkward. I did that already by kissing her.

I did my best to avoid her, to avoid awkwardness as we would just stare at each other resulting in me blushing and running away. Even then, I can't avoid her all the time because I can't stop myself from talking to her. The fact that I told her she meant everything to me made me super embarrassed, it was the god honest truth but maybe I shouldn't have said that.

"Hey Amity, can I ask you something?" I felt Luz tap my shoulder, grabbing my attention as she wanted to. Her voice was full of curiosity and for some reason it scared me. Whenever she was curious it always turned out kinda bad but I was gonna let her ask anyway.

"Sure, go ahead and ask." I stood there, my books clasped in my arms, just waiting for her to ask me what she wanted to know. I'm sure it had something to do with Thursday but what?

"Did Zander do something to you? Yesterday you said you weren't scared of him even though he did something terrible, what did he do?" Her eyes shone with concern now, making my heart stop dead. I couldn't tell her not after what she's been through. If I told her this, it would break her heart, rip her to pieces and I can't do that.

"Luz...thank you for being concerned but I can't tell you, not right now at least. Maybe one day." A sigh tumbled from her lips and she looked down at the ground, upset yet sad.

"I understand, just know that you can trust me with secrets. I know we've had a rough couple of weeks after having ignored each other for years, but I wanna be your friend again." Without thinking I dropped everything in my hands and embraced her in a tight hug. I've been waiting for her to say that, to tell me that she wants to be friends again!

"I do too, Luz, I wanna be your friend!" Sure, I wanted to be more than that but if she wanted to be just friends, then that's good enough for me. At the beginning of this month I thought we were going to end up killing each other and yet, here we are, hugging in a hallway.

"You know how you said I mean everything to you?" Luz continued to talk as I hugged her, "Well, you mean everything to me." I didn't dare pull away from the hug, knowing all too well that my face was burning red right now. This feeling won't go away, will it?

"Thanks Luzzy." I hadn't called her by that nickname since the sixth grade and calling her by it again is seriously awesome. I've wanted to call her Luzzy for a while but was scared because I didn't know what we were, friends, enemies, acquaintances. Now I know, we're friends.

The bell rang for next class to start, causing me and Luz to pull away quickly and rushing to the Science room. For some reason I took Luz's hand and ran with her as we approached the classroom. She hadn't noticed at first until we stopped in front of the door, her face turning a bit red at my touch.

"Amity...you're uh, you're holding my hand." Finally realizing this, I quickly tear my hand from hers and cough doing my best to make this not awkward. She giggled a bit at my nervousness causing my blush to grow. God, her laugh was adorable. There were so many things about her that were adorable, it wasn't freaking fair! I want to tell her everything that I love about her, flaws and all, just give her a list of things that I see as adorable and amazing.

Maybe one day I'll be able to tell her everything. How much I love her, what I love about her, and even my deepest secrets. No one knows how much I have hidden deep inside of me and I think that's a good thing but at the same time that might be a bad thing. I've struggled with telling people what's traumatized me because I'm scared they'll just do the same thing. Zander and my dad have hurt me the most, their abuse was far beyond what anyone else has done to me.