VIII

"Wake up," you rubbed your eyes and focused on the body sitting on you bed, Brenna, "Hvitserk wants to see you."

The furs hanging over your shoulders didn't obscure the lace nightdress covering your body. It left nothing to the imagination and you thought Hvitserk would appreciate that. The ball of nerves dancing in your stomach had you on edge the entire time.

"I hope you haven't waited long," he smiled sheepishly as he dropped his cloak and leaned down to press his lips to yours.

"I haven't," you smiled into his kiss and bit his lip, "will you help me out of my furs?"

You didn't have to say another word, he was easily untiring your dress and kissing your shoulders.

Dressing quickly, you smiled at the memory of your time with Hvitserk and considered how far the two of you had come since that first night you spent together. You felt slightly guilty visiting him before Ivar.

Gunnhild was standing guard at his door, she gave you a nod as you walked past and entered his chamber. Hvitserk was sitting in front of the fire without a shirt, the deep purple bruises on his back were visible right away.

"My gods, Hvitserk! Look at you!"

"My love," he groaned in pain as he turned to face you, "you should see the other guy."

"No jokes, Hvitserk! You could have died!"

"That was always the plan, my love."

You ran to him and wrapped your arms around his neck and pulled him close, ignoring his painful grunts. He was here, he was alive and there was no way you were ever going to let him get away from you again.

"I missed you so much, Hvit."

"I know," he kissed you gently, trying to avoid pressure to his busted lip, "but this isn't the time. Ivar is awake."

"So what?"

"So he is your husband," he bowed his head and kissed your neck, "you need to go to him."

Hvitserk kissed the length of your neck down to your palm and placed a small knife in your hand while he did it.

"I love you," he whispered, "finish what I could not."

The blade was hot in your palm as your left Hvitserk's chamber and headed toward the one Ivar was fighting to stay alive in. His men gave you odd looks as you approached but they could not deny your entrance.

The room was cold despite the fire burning in the hearth. Ivar was still heavily and bandaged and unable to move much, but his breathing had stabilized and he was doing much better than expected.

"What are you doing here?"

His voice was barely above a whisper and his arm trembled as he reached out to summon you closer to his bed.

"You are my husband and you are dying, why wouldn't I be here?"

A chuckle left his lips as he struggled to sit up and recline on his forearms.

"You are more cunning than I could ever wish to be, my queen. I will miss you."

"What do you mean, Ivar?"

"You win."

"What have I won? You are going to die and I will be alone."

"Silly woman, don't play those games with me. You would be delighted to send me off the Valhalla. Marry my idiot brother and have a thousand children, I do not care anymore."