XII

You hadn't given much thought to what would happen after Ivar was permanently out of the picture and you were left a widowed royal. You had never in your craziest fantasies saw yourself as the queen of Kattegat but now that you were, the idea of losing your crown wasn't ideal. How great would it be to just be the queen without Ivar holding your position over your head? You would be free to choose your own king and you would choose a man that actually valued you.

He never wanted it, but Hvitserk would make a great king. He would be just and honest and with you at his side, with Brenna and her chosen as allies, you could make real changes in Kattegat and the surrounding villages.

"Yes, I would like to keep my crown."

"I hoped, I cannot imagine allying with anyone else. Now, we need to discuss how this is, most likely, going to happen."

"Is Hvitserk going to do it?"

"He assured me that he would, but I'm not sure I believe him. Regardless of the situation, Ivar is still his brother and I am not sure he'll be able to kill him. I have tasked my greatest warrior to monitor the situation and if Hvitserk cannot do follow through, she will take care of it."

The thought of Hvitserk not being able to kill Ivar despite all he had done to you brought bile to your throat. Of course it was understandable, but it still didn't sit well with you.

"Hey," Brenna took your hands in hers, "he is not coming back and if by some miracle the Gods allow him to, he will not stay long and he will not have control over you ever again."

"Do not be a stranger," you dropped her hands and pulled her into a hug, "it is funny that you are my competition but you are also who I would consider my closest friend. Safe travels home."

"We will see each other again at the end of this, and it will be a sweet reunion, my friend."

*

"I am nervous," Aslaug paced back and forth across and wrung her hands together too many times to count, "I don't think this raid will go well."

"Do not worry, your sons are more than capable of leading a major army and they will come back successful and richer than ever."

Your calm demeanor didn't seem to ease her worry, as she continued to walk holes in the wooden floor.

"This doesn't feel right. They were supposed to have returned three days ago, but we have heard nothing. What if Hedeby's forces were too much for them? They were Lagertha's armies."

"Maybe they are enjoying the spoils of their raid and spending some extra time upending Hedeby. I'm sure they'll be back within two days."

It wasn't two minutes after you said it that the horns sounded. Boats were entering Kattegat. Aslaug hurried out of the hall toward the docks while you waited for Brenna to come from her chambers.

She emerged in matching clothing to yours.

"Are you ready for whatever is ahead of us?"

You held hands as you made your way to the docks in thick blue dresses and black furs.

As soon as the boats hit the docks men were pouring off them. Chaos had taken control of the scene and townspeople were crying on the side of the docks while raiders pulled the wounded out and rushed them off.

"The kings need to be taken to the great hall! They have priority!"

Kings. The word hit like an ice cold wave washing over your body. Ivar was the only one meant to be injured in the raid. He should have been the one to suffer a fatal blow.