IX

It was much easier to pretend with Ivar when you knew there was an end in sight. The next several nights, you happily rode him to orgasm and allowed him to do things to your body you never would have in the past. As much as you would deny it later, you had no issue taking advantage of the attractive young king.

"You're finally starting to fall for me aren't you," he ran his hand through your hair, "I wasn't sure you would."

He pulled himself out of the bed and sat on the edge, you noted the toned muscles in his back and ran your fingernails over his shoulder.

"I wasn't sure either. I didn't think I'd ever get over Hvitserk. If I'm honest, I'm probably not entirely over it but I'm trying. I'm trying for you."

"I know, and I understand. He's coming home tomorrow though."

Ivar used his crutches to stand himself up and make his way over to the fire.

"He's coming home and he's getting married to someone else. He's moving on and we need to as well. I want you to stop taking those herbs you've been taking. I'm not mad you have, I understand why, but I'd like it if you stopped. I want us to have a baby."

It wasn't a surprise, you knew that was ultimately what he wanted, but to finally have the conversation shook you. You never wanted children in the first place, but especially not with Ivar.

"Do you want that?"

There was a hesitation in his voice and he didn't turn away from the hot flames as he waited for my answer.

Of course I don't want that. My attraction to you is skin deep, you tyrant. You've ripped me from the love of my life and cruelly dangled him in front of me this entire time, pulling him away and pushing him close to me for your own amusement and convenience. You may have given me a crown of gold and a position of power, but you've taken everything else.

"I'm scared, but I think I do."

I want to see the end of you, and I want to be the one to do it.

"Really?!"

Ivar rushed back to the bed as fast as he was capable and threw his arms around you. You tried to hug him with the same intensity but couldn't quite get there and he noticed.

"You're really sure? You don't seem as excited as I am."

"Well, my love, I told you I was scared. Being pregnant and giving birth is a big deal and I would be lying if it didn't scare me. Think of all the risks that come with childbirth. Myself or the baby could-"

"Stop there," he interrupted, "we're not even going to think about that right now. Let's just be happy that we're going to bring an heir to Kattegat. I will have a child, an heir to my throne."

Ivar looked like he was going to cry out of sheer joy. It was the first time I'd ever seen a smile on his face that wasn't there because he'd just done something evil to someone, it was genuine.

The sound of the horns signaling boats entering the harbor broke us out of our moment.

"Is that the raiding party? They can't be back already. Get dressed, my queen, we need to get down to the docks."

The cold wind was biting through your thick furs as you stood with your husband and as many people of Kattegat that could drag themselves out of bed in the middle of the night. As soon as the boats drifted out of the black and into the firelight, you recognized his silhouette. His face was still masked in darkness but there was no mistaking him, Hvitserk had returned to Kattegat.

He returned to Kattegat just to be sent away again, only this time he would be taking his new wife with him.

"Brother," Ivar dropped your hand and stepped toward Hvitserk as he jumped off the boat, "welcome home!"