IV

You snuggled beneath the blankets and furs, attempting to recreate the warmth Hvitserk's body had given you. It almost worked.

"Did you enjoy your evening?"

You hadn't heard Ivar enter the room. Your bed was cold, Hvitserk had probably left hours ago and even though you knew he had been instructed to leave, you couldn't help but feel slightly betrayed.

"Yes, yes I did. I spent the night with the one I love. It should be obvious that I enjoyed my evening."

If your words had an impact on Ivar he didn't show it.

"Good, if my queen is happy, I am happy."

You lounged back in the bed, allowing the blankets to fall to your stomach, exposing your breasts.

"You are not bothered by your wife making love to your brother?"

His eyes fell on your chest for a brief moment before rising to meet your gaze.

"If my queen is happy, I am happy," he repeated.

You pushed the blankets aside completely and stepped out of the bed, letting the cold air chill your naked body.

"You are really going to tell me that the feared king of Kattegat, Ivar the boneless, is perfectly ok with allowing his wife to make love to another man?"

It was probably your much needed night with Hvitserk that drove you to be so bold but you couldn't be sure. You had feared Ivar would be an abusive husband but his responses to your actions so far were proving otherwise.

Ivar remained silent as he looked you up and down before using his crutch to move closer to you. He was dressed his normal armor while you wore nothing and the contrast had you eager to see what would happen next.

He was standing in front of you now, his piercing eyes glaring into yours as he jerked your chin up with his gloved hand.

"Your defiance is amusing. I can see why my brother loves you so much."

Ivar's lips hovered just above yours for a few moments before he let you go and turned to throw another log on the fire.

"If you're going to wander around Kattegat in nothing, you should at least stay warm."

*

A loud pounding at your door pulled you from sleep and you scrambled to cover yourself as the door barreled open, slamming against the wall in the process.

"What were you thinking?!"

Ubbe barreled into the room with Torvi close behind him.

"W-what are you talking about?"

You wiped the sleep from your eyes and pulled the furs up to your neck to cover yourself.

"You are Ivar's queen but you slept with Hvitserk! What were you thinking?!"

You opened your mouth to answer Ubbe but Torvi was quick to come to your defense.

"She slept with her love. You're so used to being a prince that you forget that there are other people in Kattegat and they have emotions just as you do," Torvi spat, "she did nothing wrong."

"Wrong or not, she will pay."

Ubbe's voice was soft. He knew of your relationship with Hvitserk, having grown up with you, and you had always considered him a friend.

"Ubbe," You quickly wrapped furs around your body and stood up, "If he wants to punish me, let him."

"That is the problem. He isn't going to punish you. Well.. he is, but not directly."