II

"Ivar," you tried your hardest to keep the irritation from showing in your voice, "I am a Viking, not a fragile doll. I don't need someone else to protect me."

You didn't fail to notice the smirk Hvitserk tried to hide as you spoke to his younger brother.

"I know you don't," his vivid blue gaze seemed to look right through you, "but I don't want to take any chances."

"If you didn't want to take any chances, you wouldn't have assigned my lover to be the one that protects me."

It was a bold move on your part. Knowing Ivar, you expected the worst but hoped that he would favor your defiance.

"That is exactly why I chose him."

You remained silent for a few moments, eyes moving from brother to brother before finally meeting your husband's stare.

"I don't need protection, Ivar."

You stood up, towering over his sitting frame and trying your hardest not to be intimidated by his piercing eyes that were locked on yours.

"Yes you do," Hvitserk spoke up, "you're to be the queen of Kattegat to a controversial king. It is important that you are kept safe."

He bit his lip and continued to refuse making eye contact, choosing instead to focus his brother.

Ivar and Hvitserk exchanged unreadable glances before he laughed softly and clapped his hands together.

"You hear that, my queen? He says you need protection and I agree. Surely will listen to him, your... lover. I believe that is what you called him, right?"

Without waiting for your answer, he turned to face his brother, "and I'm going to let that 'controversial' comment slide because you agreed with me Hvitserk, but don't get used to it. Your presence is no longer required for the evening, you may go."

Ivar waved him off and he retreated from your new quarters, closing the doors behind him.

"I think I'd like to spend some time by myself," you spat, unwilling to spend another moment with Ivar alone. The words left your lips faster than you had expected.

"Relax," Ivar raised his hands in defense and raised himself from the chair using his crutch, "I just wanted to a have private chat with my soon to be wife. Will you give a few minutes of your time?"

His words piqued your interest even though you knew they shouldn't have. Hvitserk was only several walls away and probably feeling terrible because he had just lost the woman he loved to his brother and you felt awful because you loved him too but you couldn't deny how intrigued you were by Ivar.

Everything you had heard about him made him out to be someone that wanted to anything but talk. While others talked, Ivar acted. You hated to admit it, but you knew he was smart. There had been a time in your youth where you found yourself thinking about him in your spare time, wondering if he might find you as interesting as found him to be.

That was before you met Hvitserk.

It was no secret that Aslaug heavily favored her youngest son but he was certainly not an only child.

Ivar had four older brothers. Ubbe, Hvitserk, Sigurd and Bjorn. Ragnar was the father to all of them while Aslaug mothered Ubbe, Hvitserk and Sigurd. Bjorn was the son of Lagertha.

You missed her. You wished you had met her son, Bjorn Ironside, stories went around that he was a great warrior, a fact that didn't surprise you at all. Bjorn had left Kattegat long ago and now that his mother was gone, he would probably never come back.