"Tsukki didn't care"

Yamaguchi Tadashi was running. He was unsure at some point what he was running from; he just knew that he was always running. Maybe in grade school, it was from his so-called "friends" who always told him to 'wait till it was over and then he'd feel better.' Maybe it was from those classmates in Aoba Johsai, who told him to 'wait a little and then he'd feel good.' But right now, he was running from the one person who always helped him and stood up for him. The one person who he always stood beside, or rather, behind.

He was running from the one he still loved after so many years.

He wanted to turn around. He wanted to hold him tightly and never let him go.

But that would be an awful choice for the both of them.

-----------

Tsukishima Kei was staring across the pavement, watching his best friend run away. Where have I seen this before? "Ah..." He remembered that time at the training camp, where he first apologized. Where he screwed up so badly because he didn't want to break down his walls and say what he truly felt, what needed to be truly said.

He felt a single drop of water dripping down his cheek. Then another. Then a downpour. The sky was gray with misery, and it was pouring down on Tsukishima, who was losing sight of Yamaguchi.

He felt his eyes sting. A drop fell from the corner of his eye. Then another. Then a downpour. His eyes grew puffy and red, as the tears fell freely, hidden behind the rain.

It's too late, he thought.

He's gone.

I missed my chance...

"NO!" He suddenly yelled, scolding himself. He slapped his face and wiped his eyes, then took off running after Yamaguchi. He slipped once on the puddles forming in the ground, but he didn't care. He was cold, and his clothes were soaked, and they were sticking to his skin, enveloping him in ice, but he didn't care. All he cared about was that Yamaguchi's figure was getting blurry. His glasses were getting foggy, and he wiped them multiple times with his fingers just to make sure that there was still a slim chance of Yamaguchi being there.

His shoes squelched with every step. There was apparently a typhoon that day. But Tsukishima didn't care.

Yamaguchi started becoming more visible. His silhouette was getting clearer, but it was still running. But Tsukishima was taller, and his legs took bigger steps, if only by a few inches. But those few inches were all that he needed.

He was getting closer to Yamaguchi, his left arm stretched out in front of him. Just a little closer... But he couldn't possibly help that he had low stamina right now, could he. Depsite the rain making it hard to properly breathe, and the treads through the water making his legs ache, and the cold water chilling him to the bone, he couldn't afford to get tired now.

He launched himself forward, almost jumping off the ground, and finally caught hold of Yamaguchi's arm.

Yamaguchi stopped running. The two were panting madly, their faces red and their eyes puffy and wet. "W...wait..." Tsukishima breathed, still catching his breath.

"Why should I?" Yamaguchi said loudly, trying to hide his voice cracking. He tried to tug away, but Tsukishima pulled him into his chest, holding his head and waist, not daring to loosen his grip. They were both soaking wet and freezing, but he didn't care.

"What are you doing?! Let go!" Yamaguchi yelled, his fists trying to push him away. But Tsukishima didn't care. He just cared about holding Yamaguchi. It didn't matter where or when; as long as Yamaguchi was there with him.