"I need to talk to you."

Tsukishima ended up walking to the park. He sat down on the bench underneath the tree, shielding himself from the sun.

He noticed some commotion coming from in front of him. It was three kids playing near a playground far too familiar to him. They weren't necessarily playing, though; they were forcing one of the kids into the ground, stepping on him. What the fuck is wrong with kids?

He walked over behind the two who were standing, his shadow making his presence known.

"Knock it off."

They started crying and ran away. Tsukishima sighed and held out his hand for the boy who was still on his knees.

"Thanks, Mister..." He mumbled. "But you didn't have to do that. They were my...friends..."

"No they weren't." Tsukishima's eyes met the boys', and he couldn't help but feel a resemblance in the emotions swirling in theirs and Yamaguchi's.

"If you thanked me for shooing them away, and hesitated when you called them your friends, then they obviously aren't."

"..." The kid was on the verge of tears. Tsukishima grabbed his hand and pulled him on his feet. He sighed. "Take this from me, and find some real friends, yeah? Ones that you look forward to seeing at school everyday and laugh alongside. That shouldn't be too hard, right?"

The boy looked surprised, then nodded. He bowed, thanking Tsukishima once more before running off.

"Friends that you look forward to seeing..." Tsukishima repeated his own words to himself.

I bet Yamaguchi used to look forward to seeing me...

-----------

"I'm home," Yamaguchi yelled into his house. His mom's smiling face came out of the living room.

"Welcome ho-" She immediately noticed the bandaid on her son's nose and the gauze on his cheek.

"Tadashi, what happened?!" She screamed, panicking.

"It's nothing, ma, don't worry. I just fell during volleyball practice, I promise."

"If what happened in grade school happens again," She huffed. "I'm sending you back to Karasuno!"

Yamaguchi remembered his conversation with t̶h̶e̶ ̶p̶o̶w̶e̶r̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶p̶l̶e̶ Iwaizumi and Oikawa and spoke up.

"Actually, ma, I've been meaning to ask if you could send me back..." Yamaguchi half whispered, putting his hand on his neck nervously.

"Oh, so you do want to go back! I knew it! Thank god I didn't pay the fees for Aoba Johsai yet, that would've been a pain!"

"You're that happy I want to go back?" Yamaguchi laughed.

"Of course! I'm sure you miss your friends, right? Especially Tsukishima-kun~" she teased him, batting her eyelashes.

"Haha, yeah... a bit..."

"Oya?" His mom made a realization. "So you do like Tsukishima-kun?"

"Hah?! NO! I-"

She laughed again. "It's fine, it's fine, I'm not like your father; that's part of the reason he left..."

"ANYWAY," She yelled, lifting the atmosphere. "You'll be attending Karasuno starting tomorrow again, then."

"Right, thanks."

--------------

Tsukishima was walking slowly towards the gym for morning practice. "YAMAGUCHI?!?" He heard Hinata's faint voice from the gym. The next thing he knew, he was running, sliding the door open with all his might, to see Yamaguchi standing there next to Hinata and Kageyama in his shorts and T-shirt.