TWENTY ONE

After quickly changing into something more comfortable, Marie and Derek made their way towards the airport. Yes, the airport. Marie kept staring at Derek anxiously, she didn't have a passport, every damn citizen in this goddamn town knows her name and how she looks. . . And now they're walking towards the crowded airport.

"If anyone recognizes me today, I'm dead. You do get that, don't you?" Marie asked as the two walked out of the parking lot.

Derek smirked, rolling his eyes, "Don't you worry about that, sweethart." he said, casually greeting the guard as they stepped inside the airport. "Nobody's going to recognize you, 'cause we ain't going with the economy class." he explained as he made a sharp right turn, making Marie stop in her tracks slightly before following right behind him.

"Well, first class is going to recognize me, too." she whispered lowly, letting her hair fall over the sides of her face. She wasn't taking any risks. "And I need to make a phone call." she added, upon receiving no answer from Derek whatsoever, "A few phone calls, actually."

"You will. Just be patient, kid." he said as the two of them made their way through the narrow hallway. Marie rolled her eyes slightly, this was not how she planned everything to turn out. With Paul on her tail, she didn't need another mob bos to threaten her life. Yet again, if she used her advantages... Marie thought for a while about her situation as the tall Brit led her out of the airport and towards a small jet that was waiting for them outside.

"I really need to make a phone call." Marie managed to mutter as the two of them entered the jet, Derek rolling his eyes as he urged her inside. "Well I really need a vacation. But is anybody asking me what I want?" Derek replied back as Marie opened her mouth to speak, "No, nobody is asking me." he answered his own question as Marie quickly shut her mouth.

"That's not my fault." she retorted as they walked inside, watching as Derek calmly sat down on one of the seats in the giant middle area of the jet. He sighed, shoving his hand in his jacket in search of his phone. After he finally found it, he handed it to the woman, as she eagerly took it, "Thank you." she muttered, making herself comfortable in one of the seats as she dialed a number, before pressing the cellphone to her ear. She heard the ringing noise, followed by a voice that she knew quite well.

"Hello?"

"Veronica!" Marie said, as Veronica let out a sigh of relief on the other side of the line.

"Marie! Where are you? What happened? I told Luca what happened and he just left - Did that guy do something to you? If he did, I swear-"

"No, no, V, it's alright." Marie assured, shooting a side glance at Derek whose eyes seemed to be glued to a newspaper in his hands. "It's nothing serious, don't worry. I just. . . I need to do something. Something important." she explained.

"What do you need to do? God, Marie, I'm. . . I don't want anything to happen to you." Veronica spoke lowly, and Marie could already hear the worry and anxiousness in her voice. "Don't worry, okay? I'll be back soon. And tell Allison not to worry, too."

Marie could hear a sigh from the other side of the line, "Is this about Mike and Linc?" Veronica asked, as Marie sadly gazed out of the jet window. They were about to fly off. She ran a hand through her hair, letting out a small breath of air, "Listen, Veronica. . . If I don't help them, I wouldn't be able to live with myself. Now I have a chance to do something." she explained.

"Why do I feel like you're in some deep shit right now, all because of us?" Veronica asked again, as Margaret let out a chuckle. "I told you I'm fine - besides, I've always been in deep shit, trust me." she went to assure, but Veronica interrupted her.