FIVE

"CHANCE, Graciano."

Six o'clock. It was exactly six o'clock when Brad Bellick started doing the nightly lineup and cell check, and it was also the most stressful night Fernando Sucre ever had. As Bellick neared their cell, he became even more nervous as to what Bellick's reaction would be upon noticing Michael's absence.

"Scofield, Sucre." Bellick stopped in front of the cell only to see Sucre leaned against the wall with no sign of Michael. "Scofield, get the hell out of there." Bellick said yet again, now entering the cell and throwing Michael's sheets off of the bed, his eyes widening upon seeing the empty bed.

"We got a runner!" he blew his whistle, warning the other CO's who immediately started the alarm.

"Lockdown!" another CO yelled out as the prisoners were pushed back into their cells, although they cheered Michael on, impressed by his bravery.

"Alright, for the last time, piñata." Bellick pushed Sucre against the wall, slamming his bat next to his head, "Where the hell is Scofield?"

It was right then when Bellick's walkie sounded, a calm voice saying: "Call it off, Cap. I got Scofield right here." Bellick's eyebrows raised. "Where?"

"In the warden's office." the voice replied. "You lookin' at him?" Bellick questioned further. "Stop trying to nail the secretary and check the damn office." he continued, making the guard roll his eyes before turning towards the door. As he entered, he found the room to be empty.

"Cap, he's gone."

"He never checked out with you?" Pope angrily asked the secretary who shook her head rapidly, "No, sir."

"And the rear door?" he questioned further, "Still locked, sir." the guard replied as Pope hurriedly entered the room, followed by Bellick.

"Then how the hell did he-" Pope's eyes widened as, to his and everyone else's surprise, Michael's head popped out from behind the table. "What's going on?" Michael asked, his hand still holding up the piece of wood he was supposed to hold. Bellick's face was red in anger as he walked up to Michael, violently lifting him up by the collar before slamming him against the wall. "You're in the warden's office after hours. What were you doing in here?" Bellick spat at him.

"Alright deputy, that's enough." Pope calmly said as Bellick released Michael from his deadly grasp. "The wood wasn't dry, you told me to stay untill it was." Michael defended.

"You were in here the whole time?" Pope asked, "Yes, sir."

"It's true, I never saw him leave." the secretary said, "I must not've seen him behind the table." the guard added, making Michael sigh in relief.

"Warden, with all due respect, this is ridiculous." Bellick said through gritted teeth, glaring at Pope from across the room. "This prisoner was out of his cell, he missed the count."

"I understand, deputy." Pope started, "The thing is, Mr Scofield is not our problem anymore. Seems like there was an error in his paperwork, he's going to be transfered after all." he said, a confused and surprised look making it's way onto Michael's face.

"That's not possible." he muttered.

"Escort the prisoner back to his cell." Pope ordered, making the guard approach Michael, who struggled against his grasp, "Warden, all I need is three weeks." Michael pleaded as Bellick pushed him from behind. "Get off of me!" he wrestled around but the two guards easily held him down.

"Please, I just need a little more time, just give me time." he said as the two CO's dragged him out of the office.