NINE

Please respect that this is a time of mourning for me. First my brother, now my daughter...

But as a candidate, I am still obligated to respect my position and duties, and I promise you all they will not be forgotten. But family always comes first. As soon as we find out who did this... horrible crime targeted towards my family, they will be punished and will pay for their doings. That is all.

"I told you." Veronica sighed as she shut the TV off. "I told you Nick, but you didn't listen!" she spat out angrily, running her hands through her hair as she rocked in the sofa she was sitting on.

"Veronica, I... I don't know what to say." Nick looked at the floor sadly, placing his head in his palms before sighing loudly.

"They killed her, they tried to kill us. They put a bomb in my house, Nick, they wanted us gone. The same people that put Lincoln in jail, the same people that killed Marie." Veronica inhaled deeply before speaking again, "How much time do you think will pass before they figure out we're alive? Before they come for us?"

"Look, Veronica. I don't know, but what I do know is we're not staying here to find out."

*

As soon as we find out who did this... horrible crime targeted towards my family, they will be punished and will pay for their doings. That is all.

Paul stared at the TV screen blankly, slowly blinking and silently even admiring Caroline's acting skills. "She seems upset." he finally commented before switching the channel. "Let's watch something else." he smiled, throwing his arm over the headboard of the pale blue couch he sat on. Upon receiving no answer, he turned behind, rotating his neck so he could get a view of what's behind him: a wheelchair. He then sighed before standing up and walking up towards the wheelchair which was turned to face the window.

"What's wrong, princess?" he questioned the woman in the wheelchair, placing her dark, raven hair behind her ear before caressing her cheek.

"Nothing." she simply answered, tearing her gaze from the forest outside. "Then come, let's watch some TV." Paul tried, walking up behind her before pushing the wheelchair towards the couch.

"Why did you turn her off? I want to hear what she has to say." the woman spoke, her voice a little bit louder than a whisper, but Paul could hear her quite clear. "I, uh.. I don't think that's a good idea." he retorted, but she was persistent.

"Turn it on, Paul." she said, placing her hands in her lap as Paul reached for the remote. "As you wish." he muttered before switching the channel back on.

My child was my everything, and I cannot believe she was taken from me in such a cruel, vile way. It pains me to say these words out loud, but it has to be done in order to catch the person, or people, responsible for this. My daughter has been shot multiple times during a riot that happened at Fox River Penitentiary.

"Shot in the back by the people she trusted." the raven- haired woman added, causing Paul to sigh. "Don't be like that." he said, causing the woman to let out a chuckle. "Truth hurts, Paul." she said before silence prevailed for a couple of minutes.

"I saved you." Paul exclaimed, turning his head to face the woman, who still stared blankly at the TV.

"You put me in this wheelchair." she said loudly, before meeting his gaze. "I had an order to put you in a grave. Be lucky you're still alive." Paul explained, "After this is all over and people forget about it, you can go and live your life-"

"Live my life?" she laughed loudly, covering her mouth with her hand to stop herself. "Oh, the irony." her face suddenly went serious. "I can never live my life knowing that I let so many people down."