SIX

THE POUNDING in Lincoln's head was what woke him from his sprawled position on the floor. He grunted as he sat up, running a hand over his nose which was bleeding profoundly. 'What the hell happened?' he had a confused look on his face before it hit him; he just got a massive beating from T-Bag's goons. He looked around the hall, a small black object catching his attention. He stood up slowly, still dizzy as he approached what seemed to be a phone. An expensive one, to be precise. It's screen was cracked as Lincoln pressed the home button, a picture of a woman and a man appearing. His eyes widened as he stared at the phone; it was Marie and Terrence. That's when it hit him.

"Doc?" he called out, turning around in circles as he tried to find the woman. "Doc?!" he tried again, but nobody answered. Just his own echo.

"Marie!?"

"Lincoln?" his head shot up as he turned around to face a man who approached him from down the hall. "Turk?" Lincoln squinted, still disoriented from the fight as he stared at his friend, who was also an inmate.

"Man, what happened to you?" Turk asked, though his voice didn't seem worried at all. But that fact went right over Lincoln's head as he walked towards the man. "Have you seen a, uh..  a doctor? Running around?" he asked, his head in his palm as he tried to stand still.

"A doctor? No, I wouldn't say so. But I think I saw your brother somewhere around here." Turk explained, making Lincoln nod. "I gotta find 'em." Lincoln blurted out, "You lookin' for Scofield?"

"Yeah, Turk." Lincoln said right before Turk motioned to follow him, and Lincoln did so. They went down a couple of flights of stairs before entering an opened gate which lead to an empty, smoke filled room. "Scofield's in here?" Lincoln, now wary, questioned Turk as they went even further down the hall, the smoke filling Lincoln's lungs. "Are you sure he's in here?" Lincoln now asked, the smoke causing him to cough a couple of times.

"Turk?" Lincoln questioned upon receiving no answer from the man, a confused look on his face as he stopped in his tracks. "Turk!" he yelled out, but what happened next wasn't what Lincoln expected Turk to do.

His breath went rigid as Turk's arm wraps around his throat.

*

"Are you completely out of your mind? You can't go back in there, Doc." Bellick looked at Marie as if she grew another head, the two of them sitting in the back of ambulance vehicle as Marie's shaky hands gripped the blanket thrown around her shoulders.

"No, you're out of your mind, Brad!" she snapped, turning her head towards the bald man. "If you think that I'm going to allow those men to turn this place upside down, then you're completely out of your fucking mind!" she said through gritted teeth before placing her head in her palms.

"Don't worry Marie, I won't allow such a thing." Pope's voice made her turn around and stand up as the warden approached her. "Pope, hell's breaking loose in A Wing. And Burrows, he's badly hurt. Those men won't hesitate to kill one another and if we don't do something right now, the only way that they'll come out of there is in a zip-up bag."

Pope raised an eyebrow. "I don't see how Burrows' well being is your problem?" he said, Marie's breath hitched in her throat as she furrowed her eyebrows. "He's my patient!" she exclaimed in disbelief, her arms waving in the air before limply falling by her sides.

"And a death sentence convict."

"So you're saying that you'd let him die?" Marie's voice cracked as a cop appeared from behind her, placing his hand on Pope's shoulder, "You called, sir?"

"You hear a word from the governor?" Pope asked the cop, "Not yet, boss."

Marie let out a frustrated sigh, stomping her heel on the grass as she ran a hand through her hair. "We coming in?" Bellick suddenly appeared beside her, making her jump in surprise. "God fucking damn it, stop doing that!" she screamed, earning a confused look from Bellick and a head shake from Pope, as they both watched her walk away from them. "Not yet. We cut the water an hour ago, the stench alone should drive them out."

Bellick raised an eyebrow. "You think that'll work?"

"No, but it's protocol. And we're all gonna do this by the book. It's our best chance to get everyone out without anyone getting hurt." Pope exclaimed.

Meanwhile, in A Wing, John Abruzzi found himself a volunteer to stand by the window and yell out their commands to the warden.

"Hey, Pope!" the man screamed out, causing Pope to take a speaker from a passing CO and near it towards his face, before speaking out, "This is the warden speaking."

"We got some commands!" the man yelled out. "Tell them we need the air back on." Abruzzi added.

"We need the AC!" the man repeated, making Abruzzi nod, before speaking again. "We got a hostage- the guard." he said, nodding his head towards Bob, who was handcuffed to a bed pole.

"We got a hostage! The new guy!" the man yelled out yet again, causing Bellick to turn to his men. "Find out who's in there."

In a matter of seconds, he got his answer. He turned back to face Pope as he muttered in disbelief, "They got Bob."

"And the doctor. Tell him we got her." Abruzzi ordered, wiping the sweat from his forehead with his tank top. The man turned around, aggravated, "Why don't you do it?"

John then looked up at him before smiling. "Cause I don't wanna get shot." he simply said, causing the man to shield himself, before screaming out yet again, "And we got the doctor!"

"The doctor!?" Pope and Bellick turned towards Marie as she stared at them in disbelief. "Only one left." Bellick muttered as Marie, yet again, neared the pair. "How the hell did that happen!?" she continued, poking Pope in the chest as Bellick took her by the shoulders and pulled her to his side. "If they even lay a hand on her, you're in deep shit, Henry. You understand that, don't you?" she said, making Pope nod before turning to Bellick.

"We gotta get her out of there, somebody's gotta go in there now!"

"Can't do that, sir." Bellick simply said, unbothered. "And why is that!?" Pope angrily asked.

"It's not by the book." Bellick smirked.

*

"Turk! Why are you doing this? Who sent you?" Lincoln shouted at his 'friend' as he swung a metal bat at him, hitting him in the ribs. He groaned loudly as he ducked, trying to avoid Turk's hits. Another hit in the ribs. Now another in the back. "Why!?" he repeated, when Turk swung again. Lincoln ducked on time as Turk tripped and fell over the fence before hitting the floor with a thud.

Lincoln watched the man from afar, his knees and hands on the floor as he struggled to catch his breath. He reached for the metal bat before rushing downstairs towards Turk's jerking body. He threw the pole to the ground before kneeling next to him. He slapped him across the cheek, trying to get him to stay awake. "Why'd you do this? What's it all about? Who sent you?" he managed to ask all in one breath, but Turk didn't respond. Instead he just stared at him, coughing blood. "You gotta help me, man." he added, that's when Turk's eyes closed. "Turk!" he screamed through gritted teeth, but to no avail.

He sighed before standing up and walking away, making his way towards A Wing, completely unaware of what's going on in there.