TWO

A LOUD RINGING was what woke Marie up from her sleep. She trashed around in her bed, trying her best to cancel the noice but to no avail. She jolted up in a sitting position, shoving the covers to the side as she threw her legs over the side of the bed. She glanced at her alarm clock; it was six twenty in the morning. The ringing never stopped, so Marie leaned over the desk and grabbed the phone, frowning when an unfamiliar number was shown on the screen.

"Hello?" Marie groggily said, trying to blink away the sleep from her eyes.

"Marie Reynolds?" a female voice asked, making Marie raise an eyebrow. "Yes?"

"I'm Veronica Donovan, I'm Lincoln Burrows' attorney." she started, Marie rolled her eyes and sighed deeply. "Before you hang up-- I have something important to talk about with you, so, if you could, spare me just a minute of your time, please." the woman pleaded.

Marie looked around her room, contemplating whether she should hang up and block her number or listen to what she has to say. "Please, Marie. You're the only one that could save an innocent man from dying for a crime he didn't commit."

She stood up from her bed and walked towards her closet, opening the wooden doors and pulling out a sweater. "Alright." she sighed, her mind subconsciously screaming at her not to do it, but the kindness and empathy she'd always had prevailed as she pulled the sweather over her head. "Thank you, you won't regret this."

"Where do you want to talk?" Marie questioned, looking outside her window only to see a black car pulling up to her driveway. "Listen, just text me the address and the time, okay?" she blurted, not even waiting for Veronica to answer before hanging up the phone. She walked over towards her front door and opened it, only to reveal a man in a suit, his hand raised like he was just about to knock. The man chuckled before lowering his arm.

"You always seem one step ahead of me, Marie." he exclaimed, inviting himself in by stepping past her and into the house. "I always like to be prepared, Paul." she answered, an unamused look on her face. The man sat down on her sofa as she crossed her arms in front of her chest. "You know, I'm really flattered you came by, but I was just about to head out." she said, walking towards the shoe rack and taking out a pair of black heeled boots.

"Where to?" Paul asked, his gaze never leaving the woman. "Just going for a walk with a friend." she lied, hoping he would just bite it and leave. "A walk." he repated, "Yes."

"With a friend?" he continued, "Yes, with a friend." Marie answered. "At six in the morning?" he questioned, making Marie roll her eyes.

"Yes, at six in the morning. Do you have a problem with that?" she snapped, turning towards the sofa angrily before her eyes widened upon noticing he wasn't there. Suddenly she could feel a tight grip on her forearm before her back hit the wall. "Is that friend's name Veronica Donovan, by any chance?" he muttered, his grip on her arm tightening.

"Son of a bitch." Marie spat, snatching her arm out of his death grip. "You better learn not to stick your nose in my business, or I'll make sure that's the last thing you ever do." she threatened. "What, did you suddenly start believing her?" he asked, but Marie knew. She knew it was a trick question.

"No." Marie said firmly, "I'm just going to tell her to fuck off, face to face." she said, making the man step away from her. "I sure hope so, Marie." he looked her up and down before turning away and walking towards the door. "For your own good." he added, after that the door slammed, causing Marie to jump in surprise. It was only then that she noticed her heart beating wildly inside her chest, her breaths short and quick as she held the sore spot where he gripped her arm. 'He was tracking my phone calls', she thought, a feeling of uneasiness suddenly washing over her whole body.
She pulled out her phone from her pocket, reading the messages Veronica had sent her before shutting the phone off and taking out the card.