Nineteen: Find Your Love

The narrow streets eventually led us back to the elegant Gare de Nice-Ville. Above the three arches and the carvings that looked like shields, there was a charming clock, held by two baby cherubs. The hands of the clock read five after six. I swear I can hear it ticking in my ear.

I kept hearing it the whole way through the station, and even after boarding the crowded train. It was Caroline's voice that finally made the ticking stop.

"You never told me what your favourite movie was," she said, taking the seat beside me.

I glanced out the window and then turned back to those beautiful blue eyes and replied, "The Sound of Music."

That smile crossed her face again. "You and my grandmother would get along famously. She watches The Sound of Music every Christmas and lots of times in between."

"And how do you feel about that movie?" I asked as the train started leaving the station.

"It's probably the second-best movie ever made," she smirked.

I grinned and reached into my pockets to fish out my earbuds. I put one into my left ear and offered the other one to Caroline.

"For me?" she put her hand over her heart.

"Only if you'd like," I smiled.

"I would."

"Do you have any requests?"

"No," she replied, "surprise me."

"Okay," I said and picked a playlist called Summer Days.

Caroline's question was still burning in the back of my mind. And I kept trying to figure out what she meant by, but I think you already know.

Somewhere along the way, she leaned her head on my shoulder and closed her eyes.

My body froze from the initial contact. And that moment, Find Your Love by Drake started playing. I looked down at her face and wished I could read her mind.

The words from the song started mixing with all the thoughts swirling around in my head: I bet if I give all my love, then nothing's gonna tear us apart.

But Javi probably told you that already.

Why did you embrace my granddaughter when you saw me coming?

You two are just adorable.

Then you don't have to wonder about what could have been.

Before love feels, it must act.

I just want to know what's going on. Wouldn't you?

I told her the truth.

But that last thought kept ringing in my ears: I told her the truth.

My heart was racing as I looked down at the angel, resting her head on my shoulder. It felt hard to breathe as I thought about those three words.

If I say them everything changes and nothing can go back to the way it was. She'll either say she loves me too or...or it's over.

Then with gravel stuck in my throat, I said: "I love you."

I couldn't believe I'd finally let those words pass my lips. But she didn't respond. Her eyes were still closed. Did she hear me?

Suddenly, the train started slowing down, and the people across from us stood up. Caroline opened her eyes and smiled at me. My hands felt damp.

Should I say it again?

Caroline took out the earbud. "You'll have you send me the list of the songs on that playlist," she said.

I slowly nodded.

"Come on," she pulled me by the arm, "we have to go."

"Right," I replied, snapping out of my daze.

The crowd bumped against us as we made our way off the train and onto the platform. Liam and Sofia were looking around for us.

"There they are," Liam said, "Thought you guys had left without us for a minute there."

"Lina," Sofia grabbed Caroline by the hand, "we need to go, I have less than twenty minutes to get home."

"But Javi can drive us," Caroline said.

"No, he can't," Sofia replied. "It's best if we aren't seen going home with them."

"She's right," Liam agreed.

"So I guess this is good-bye," Caroline hugged me.

Sofia hugged Liam, and they were about to run off when I said, "Caroline."

"Yes?"

"Can I see you tomorrow?"

"Of course," she smiled.

"Maybe we can watch a movie or something?"

"I'd like that. Good night, Javier."

"Good night, Caroline."

And just like that, she was gone, disappeared into the sea of people. Liam and I weaved our way through the crowd and finally made our way back to the parkade.

When I didn't immediately start the car, Liam asked, "You okay, bro."

And without thinking, I said, "I told Caroline I loved her."

"What? Bro, that's awesome! Wait, why don't you seem pumped?"

I shrugged. "She didn't say anything."

"Oh," his voice fell. "How did she look after you said it?"

I shook my head. "Her eyes were closed."

"Was she sleeping?"

I shrugged.

"You have to tell her again, bro."

"Maybe that was her way of not hurting my feelings."

"Or maybe she just didn't hear you."

I started the car and pulled out of the parking spot. My head felt like it was spinning. And when we got back to the harbour, Liam reached over and put his hand on my shoulder.

"I know it sucks, but you have to just tell her again."

"Okay," I nodded. " You're right-I'll tell her again tomorrow."

"Atta boy!"

"And if she rejects me-"

"We can have a few beers," Liam interrupted.

I took a breath. "Okay, let's head inside."

As we boarded the yacht, I couldn't tell if my dad was around; most of the lights were still off. I pushed the button next to the frame, and the glass doors that led to the salon slid open, and then we stepped inside.

"Good evening, gentlemen," said the imposing man sitting on the couch.

My heart jumped into my throat, and Liam froze. I struggled to open my mouth but finally managed to speak.

"Your Serene Highness," I bowed and stuttered.

"How can we help you, Your Majesty, sir," Liam blurted out.

He stood up, walked towards us and said, "Where is my daughter?"